In the maingame, the Blacktail is available for purchase from the Merchant for 24,000₧. It is first purchasable in Chapter 3–1. As a handgun, it uses Handgun Ammo. It takes up 6 (3x2) spaces of inventory.
Compared to other handguns, it is the second most powerful, has high ammo capacity, the steadiest handling, and medium stopping power. When fully upgraded it is the fastest firing handgun and is the 3rd fastest firing gun in the game. However, it is also the most expensive to upgrade.
The Blacktail appears in Leon's inventory in the Mercenaries minigame. The gun is also in Ada's inventory in Separate Ways by default. She is also seen using it during some cutscenes during the main game.
Tune up chart
Fire Speed and Reload Speed are given in seconds. The Fire Power stat between the Japanese/US Gamecube versions and the GC PAL/PS2/Wii/HD/Ultimate HD versions was raised.
It takes a total of 362,000₧ to buy and fully upgrade the Blacktail.
|Level||Fire Power||Cost||Fire Speed||Cost||Reload Speed||Cost||Capacity||Cost|
"A 9mm handgun with superior handling."
- The Red9 is much more powerful per bullet (5.0/6.5 vs. 3.4/4.5 fully upgraded), but the Blacktail does more damage per second due to the higher rate-of-fire. The Red9 with the stock equipped has slightly steadier aim, while the Blacktail possesses superior handling in regards to turning/aiming speed. Without stock, the Red9 is the most unsteady handgun. The Blacktail also has high enough capacity to sustain fire for a decent amount of time.
- Compared to the Red9 with stock, the Blacktail can fit with two more stacks of ammo plus one empty square. But you can run out of ammo quickly by being trigger happy with the Blacktail.
- If players plan on investing in the Blacktail, it is wise to get by using the Handgun without upgrades or the freely upgraded Punisher you get for shooting all fifteen blue medallions and buying the Blacktail as soon as it is available.
- Ada Wong in Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles is seen using this weapon while in-game.
- This is the 5th weakest gun in the game.
- Hamamura, Koichi, ed (2006) (in Japanese). biohazard4 kaitaishinsho revised edition. Famitsu. ISBN 978-4-7577-2638-3.