(Capcom's primary storyline)
"I know. You want to ask me out. All the foxy ladies love my accent. It drives them crazy."
— Carlos to Jill after their first encounter.
Carlos Oliveira (カルロス・オリヴェイラ Karurosu Oriveira ) was a mercenary for the Umbrella Biohazard Countermeasure Service (U.B.C.S.). He held the rank of Corporal, and served in their Delta Platoon as rear security for Alpha Squad, where he was also their heavy weapons specialist. Oliveira is also one of the few survivors of the deployed squads who served during Raccoon City Destruction Incident.
Early life and Umbrella's recruitment
"Looks like our roles have been reversed from the time we first met, huh?"
— Carlos, upon Jill awakening after her fight with the Nemesis.
A man of mixed Latin American and indigenous origins, Oliveira's childhood took place in the midst of violence. Before becoming a mercenary, he spent most of his youth as an active member of a Communist guerrilla organisation fighting in an unnamed country in South America. There, he became known for his courage, always throwing himself in the middle of danger, as well as his strong sense of justice and warm-hearted playful attitude. When government forces wiped out his faction and sentenced Oliveira to death after capturing him, he was scouted and had his freedom bought by Umbrella Corporation before his execution. Umbrella offered him a contract to join the company's private military unit, the U.B.C.S., in exchange for a new life. He accepted, becoming the youngest soldier in the unit. His expertise in heavy weaponry and vehicle maintenance soon made him a valuable asset. Oliveira also befriended Murphy Seeker, who joined around the same time, and some time later, he paid for a plastic surgery to alter his face.
Raccoon City Destruction Incident
On 15 September, the U.B.C.S. was mobilised to prepare for a large-scale operation in Raccoon City, which was undergoing a t-Virus outbreak. Four platoons, measuring at approximately 120 men, among which Oliveira was included, would arrive on 26 September, by which point the outbreak had spread out of control due to drinking water contamination. It is uncertain how much he knew about the real purpose behind the operation in the city, but it is indicated that Oliveira believed that U.B.C.S. was prioritizing the rescue of civilians.
Because the severity of the outbreak in the city was greater than expected, many mercenaries were killed or mutated in the opening hours, although Oliveira managed to survive in a scattered team led by Delta Platoon's CO, Cpt. Mikhail Viktor. Accounts differ as to whether they made their base of operations on a tram or a subway train, but both agree that their intent was to make the vehicle operational again to facilitate an evacuation from the city. During this period, another report indicates that Oliveira, working with Viktor's squad, managed to rescue some of Raccoon City's citizens, and kept them safe while trying to figure out how to fix the rail vehicle.
"Calm down, lady. I'm no zombie! My name's Carlos."
— Oliveira introducing himself to Jill.
On the night of 28 September, Oliveira met the former S.T.A.R.S. officer Jill Valentine, who was on the run from the B.O.W. Nemesis-T Type, although there are contradictory reports as to how they met. One of them points out that Valentine met Oliveira after intercepting a radio signal sent by him while she was exploring the Raccoon Police Station. A second suggests that Oliveira met with Valentine while he was in the center of the city, and they joined forces to reach the police station, where both would expect to be evacuated on the roof by a helicopter. A third account, in turn, indicates that Oliveira met Valentine shortly after she fell with Nemesis from the top of a garage building, where he helped to incapacitate the B.O.W. so he could rescue her. Whatever happened, Oliveira ended up taking Valentine to where the U.B.C.S. was operating, and tentatively recruited her to their team for mutual assistance.
Over the course of repairing the rail transport they were hiding in, Oliveira worked with Valentine and the Sgt. Nikolai Zinoviev, as Cpt. Viktor was too wounded to help. Accounts differ on what happened during that search. The first one states that, as Zinoviev was presumed dead, the remaining three drove the team to St. Michael's Clock Tower, where they expected to be evacuated. However, Nemesis attacked the tram, and Viktor sacrificed himself in a grenade explosion in an attempt to destroy it. Oliveira and Valentine then made it out of the wreckage, but the B.O.W. persisted and continued to pursue them, destroying the U.B.C.S. helicopter to deny them their escape. This separated Oliveira from Valentine, and because of this, he was unable to reach her in time to help her when she faced Nemesis once again, which ended with Valentine being infected by the monster. In a different account, Oliveira instructed Valentine via radio to turn on the tram's power while she lured Nemesis away from the subway. He then would help Valentine incapacitate the creature again before they returned to the evacuation point. Upon returning, while the tram left with the survivors, Valentine, Viktor and Zenoviev, Oliveira and Bravo Platoon Monitor Tyrell Patrick were given orders to stay behind. They were to search for Dr. Nathaniel Bard, an Umbrella virologist who was leading their vaccine research effort within the city, in the Raccoon Police Station. However, upon arriving at the police station in the early dawn of 29 September, the investigation turned up blank when it was found he was at the Spencer Memorial Hospital instead. During this time, Oliveira was contacted by Valentine, who informed him about the evacuation's failure due to an ambush from Nemesis and Zinoviev's betrayal. This prompted him to leave the building immediately to meet with Valentine, but unfortunately, by the time Oliveira reached her at the Clock Tower's entrance, she was already unconscious due to the infection she had suffered from her fight against Nemesis again. Overall, both accounts agree that the U.B.C.S.' evacuation plan failed, and that Oliveira was unable to prevent Valentine from being infected with a t-Virus strain unique to the NE-α Type parasites.
Searching for a Vaccine
"My god, Jill knew all along. And she trusted me anyway."
— Oliveira reflecting upon discovering Umbrella's true intentions.
There is even more contradictory information about which path Oliveira followed with Valentine, and where he treated her t-Virus infection. One account reveals that for two days following the attack, Oliveira protected Valentine while she was in a comatose state in a chapel within the Clock Tower, until she woke up in the early dawn of 1 October. Determined not to let her die or turn into a zombie, Oliveira went to the Raccoon General Hospital in search of any treatment. While there, he witnessed Zinoviev's betrayal, discovering that he was secretly working to get rid of the U.B.C.S. mercenaries. Oliveira then escaped the hospital with a vaccine the medical staff had worked on before their internal degradation, just before the building was destroyed. Oliveria was able to successfully administer the vaccine to Valentine, inoculating her of the infection. In another account, Oliveira took Valentine directly to Spencer Memorial Hospital, and contacted Patrick to meet him there, so that they could both rescue Dr. Bard and obtain a vaccine to cure Valentine. Arriving at the building before Patrick on the night of 29 September, Oliveira looked for the vaccine on his own, eventually finding it and administering it to Valentine. However, upon locating the vaccine sample, he also discovered that Dr. Bard was already dead. During the search for the vaccine, Oliveira also learned of Umbrella's responsibility for the outbreak in the city. After curing Valentine, who was still unconscious, he remained by her side to guard her until Patrick arrived on the morning of 30 September, where they worked together to keep what remained of the hospital operational. In both accounts, Oliveira succeeded in treating Valentine with a dose of the vaccine.
"I guess this is it then. But I don't wanna die in a place like this! This isn't over yet! I'm not giving up Jill! We still have a chance!"
By 30 September, emergency radio and television broadcasts warned of a Presidential order that a missile be fired on Raccoon City the morning of 1 October. Accounts, once again, contradict each other about the direction Oliveira and Valentine took after their discovery of the news, and how they fled the city. One account claims that after Valentine recovered, she and Oliveira went on to Incineration Disposal Plant P-12A, where they witnessed Zinoviev's escape with the only apparent helicopter from the building. Determined to find another way to escape the city, Oliveira separated from Valentine. During his absence, he picked up a radio transmission from Barry Burton, another former S.T.A.R.S. officer who was looking for Valentine, and the two were picked up by his helicopter at a helipad after Valentine finally eliminated Nemesis. A second account implies that while Oliveira and Valentine were at the police station, they both faced Nemesis while running through the station until they reached the roof. There, they managed to tear it down off the building, and escaped afterward with the arrival of the rescue helicopter. A third account indicates that, after leaving Valentine to recover safely, Oliveira left for NEST-2 alone to recover Dr. Bard's vaccine stock and prevent the destruction of the city. In the facility, after the failure of his search and the discovery that Valentine followed him, he assisted her in seriously injuring Nemesis by immersing it in acid fluid, and then following Zinoviev to prevent his escape while Valentine finally eliminating the B.O.W.. However, Oliveira was eventually knocked out on the helipad, and was left unconscious to be used as bait by Zinoviev to disarm Valentine. When he was about to execute her and flee with the helicopter, Oliveira regained consciousness and managed to immobilize Zinoviev long enough for Valentine to shoot him, incapacitating him. They then escaped with the helicopter and abandoned Zinoviev. Regardless of what actually happened, Oliveira and Valentine escaped minutes before the experimental thermobaric bomb destroyed the city.
Post Raccoon's Destruction
After the events in Raccoon City, Oliveira and Valentine went to a hotel bar located somewhere on the coast of the United States and had a drink before saying goodbye. Later, Oliveira escaped the U.S. via Mexico, and he returned to South America to reside there. He continued to harbor anger towards Umbrella.
- Sumner, Christian; Shotten, Brian; Owen, Michael, eds (9 November 2005). Resident Evil Archives: Umbrella's Virus Uncovered. Translated by Zpang America, Inc.. BradyGames. ISBN 0744006554.
- Ōno, Tetsuya; Masui, Kō, eds (31 March 2005). biohazard archives. Famitsu. ISBN 4-906-582-31-1.
- Sumner, Shotten, Owen (eds). Archives. p.122
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis manual
- Benson Mokhtar (@benson_mokhtar) - Instagram
- BIOHAZARD 3 LAST ESCAPE OFFICIAL GUIDEBOOK, page 335
- BIOHAZARD 3 LAST ESCAPE OFFICIAL GUIDEBOOK - Fulfilment Of Her Escape, page 007
- Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (2007), file: "Carlos Oliveira Profile"
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), file: "Mercenary's Diary".
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Exiting with Carlos".
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), file: "Operation Instruction".
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Together for the Escape"
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Mikhail's request"
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Jill and Carlos reach the subway"
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Receiving message from Carlos"
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Meeting Carlos"
- Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (2007), level: "Raccoon's Destruction"
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Coming to Kill You"
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Together for the Escape".
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Nemesis in the tram"
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Pride and Valor"
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Don't Lose Courage/No Rest for the Wicked"
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "From Relief to Terror"
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Carlos' appearance after the fight"
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Activating the power"
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: ""I'll buy you some time""
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Invincible Nemesis"
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Nicholai's betrayal"
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Meanwhile near the R.P.D."
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Conversation with Dr. Bard"
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Bad news from Jill"
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Battle Against the Beast (part 3)"
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Bring Back Her Consciousness"
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Traitor"
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Nicholai shoots Tyrell"
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Carlos cures Jill"
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Reaching the hospital"
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Bringing the truth to light"
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: ""You stall for time!""
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "All of a Sudden"
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Against the Chopper"
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "The Second Chopper"
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Euthanasia Of Raccoon City"
- Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (2007), scene: "Raccoon's Destruction 3 ending"
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Detemined to Find Carlos"
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Melting Nemesis"
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Every Mistake Has a Cost"
- Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "The End of Raccoon City"
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), Jill's ending results 1"
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Jill's ending results 2"
- Resident Evil Archives, pages 144-145