(Capcom's primary storyline)
Carlos Oliveira (カルロス・オリヴェイラ Karurosu Oriveira ) was a mercenary for the Umbrella Biohazard Countermeasure Service (U.B.C.S.). He held the rank of Corporal and served in their Delta Platoon as rear security for Alpha Squad, where was also their heavy weapons specialist. Oliveira is also one of the few survivors of the deployed squads who served during Raccoon City Destruction Incident.
Early life and Umbrella's recruitment
"Looks like our roles have been reversed from the time we first met, huh?"
— Carlos, upon Jill awakening after her fight with the Nemesis.
A man of mixed Latin American and indigenous origins, Oliveira was created since childhood in the midst of violence. Before becoming a mercenary, he spent most of his youth as an active member of a Communist guerrilla organisation fighting in an unnamed country in South America, where he became known for his courage in always throwing himself in the middle of danger, his strong sense of justice and warm-hearted playful attitude. Once government forces wiped out his faction and sentenced Oliveira to death after capturing him, before his execution, he was scouted and had his freedom bought by Umbrella Corporation who offered him a contract to join the company's private military unit, the U.B.C.S., in exchange for a new life. He accepted, becoming the youngest soldier in the unit. His expertise in heavy weaponry and vehicle maintenance soon made him a valuable asset. At this same time, due Oliveira was recruited at the same time as Murphy Seeker, they would both become friends, and some time later, he paid for a plastic surgery to alter his face.
Raccoon City Destruction Incident
This section is based on a game with branching story paths, or several games with conflicting accounts. For more detail on differing portrayals, see this page.
On 15 September, the U.B.C.S. was mobilised and prepared for a large-scale operation in Raccoon City, which was undergoing a t-Virus outbreak. Four platoons, measuring at approximately 120 men, among which Oliveira was included, would arrive on 26 September, by which point the outbreak had spread out of control due to contamination of the drinking water. Is uncertain how much he knew about the real purpose behind the operation in the city, but it is indicated that Oliveira believed that U.B.C.S. was prioritizing the rescue of civilians.
Because the severity of the outbreak in the city was greater than expected, many mercenaries were killed or mutated in the opening hours, although Oliveira managed to survive in a scattered team led by Delta Platoon's CO, Cpt. Mikhail Viktor. Accounts differ as to whether they made their base of operations on a tram or a subway train, but both agree that their intent was to make the vehicle operational again to facilitate an evacuation from the city. During this period, another report also indicates that Oliveira with Viktor's squad managed to rescue some of the Raccoon's citizens and kept them safe while trying to figure out how to fix the rail vehicle.
"Calm down, lady. I'm no zombie! My name's Carlos."
— Oliveira introducing himself to Jill.
On the night of 28 September, Oliveira met the former S.T.A.R.S. officer Jill Valentine, who was on the run from the B.O.W. Nemesis-T Type, although the reports contradict how they met. One of them points out that Valentine met Oliveira after intercepting a radio signal sent by him while she was exploring the Raccoon Police Station. Already a second suggests that Oliveira met with Valentine while he were in the center of the city, and they joined forces to reach the police station, where both would expect to be evacuated on the roof by a helicopter. A third account, in turn, indicates that Oliveira met Valentine shortly after she fell with Nemesis from the top of a garage building, where he helped to incapacitate the B.O.W. enough time to be able to rescue her. Whatever happened, Oliveira ended up took Valentine to where the U.B.C.S. was operating and recruited her into their team tentatively for their mutual assistance.
Over the course to repair the rail transport they were hiding in, Oliveira worked with Valentine and the Sgt. Nikolai Zinoviev, already that the Cpt. Viktor was too wounded to help. Accounts differ on what happened during that search, as one pointed out that Zinoviev was presumed dead, and the remaining three drove the team to St. Michael's Clock Tower, where they expected to be evacuated, however, Nemesis attacked the tram, and Viktor sacrificed himself in a grenade explosion in an attempt to destroy it. Oliveira and Valentine made then it out of the wreckage, but the B.O.W. persisted and continued to pursue them, destroying the U.B.C.S. helicopter to deny the escape, what made Oliveira move away from Valentine in the process. Because of this, he was unable to reach her in time to help her while facing Nemesis once again, ending up with Valentine being infected by the monster. Already in a other account, Oliveira instructed Valentine by radio to turn on the tram's power while she lured Nemesis away from the place. He then would help Valentine incapacitate the creature again before they returned to the evacuation point. Upon returning, while the tram left with the survivors including Valentine, Viktor and Zenoviev, Oliveira and Bravo Platoon Monitor Tyrell Patrick were given orders to search for Dr. Nathaniel Bard, an Umbrella virologist who was leading their vaccine research effort within the city, in the Raccoon Police Station. However, upon arriving at the police station in the early dawn of 29 September, the investigation ended up turned up blank when it was found he was at the Spencer Memorial Hospital. In this time, Oliveira was contacted by Valentine who warned him about evacuation failure due to Nemesis's ambush and Zinoviev's betrayal, which prompted him to leave the building immediately to meet with Valentine, but unfortunately, when Oliveira reached her at Clock Tower's entrance, she was already unconscious due to the infection she had suffered from her fight against Nemesis again. Overall, in both accounts, the U.B.C.S.' evacuation plan failed and Oliveira was unable to prevent that Valentine was infected with a t-Virus strain unique to the NE-α Type parasites.
Searching for a Vaccine
"My god, Jill knew all along. And she trusted me anyway."
— Oliveira reflecting upon discovering Umbrella's true intentions.
The informations is contradictory about which path Oliveira followed with Valentine and where he treated her of the t-Virus infection. An account reveals that for two days following the attack, Oliveira protected Valentine while was in a comatose state in a chapel within the Clock Tower, until she woke up in the early dawn of 1 October. Determined not to let her die or turn into a zombie, Oliveira went to the Raccoon General Hospital in search of any treatment and on place, he witnessed Zinoviev's betrayal upon discovering that he was secretly working to get rid of the U.B.C.S. mercenaries. Oliveira then escaped the hospital with a vaccine the medical staff worked on before their internal degradation just before the building was destroyed and injected the vaccine to Valentine, inoculating her of the infection. Already in another account, is said that Oliveira took Valentine to Spencer Memorial Hospital and contacted Patrick to meet him there, so that they could rescue Dr. Bard and obtain a vaccine to cure Jill. However, upon arriving at the building before Patrick on the night of 29 September, Oliveira had to look for the vaccine on his own, eventually finding it and using it in Valentine, although Dr. Bard was already dead when found the sample. The search for the vaccine also led Oliveira to discover about Umbrella's responsibility behind the outbreak in the city. He then remained guarding the still unconscious Valentine until Patrick arrived on the morning of 30 September, where they both had to work together to keep what remained of the hospital operational. Anyway, in both accounts, Oliveira succeeded in treating Valentine with a dose of the vaccine.
"I guess this is it then. But I don't wanna die in a place like this! This isn't over yet! I'm not giving up Jill! We still have a chance!"
By 30 September, emergency radio and television broadcasts warned of the Presidential order that a missile be fired in Raccoon City at morning on 1 October. Accounts contradict each other about direction Oliveira and Valentine took after discover the news and the way they fled the city. One account claims that after Valentine recovered, Oliveira and she went on to Incineration Disposal Plant P-12A, where they witnessed Nikolai's escape with the only apparent helicopter from the building. Obstinate to discover another way to escape the city, Oliveira separated from Valentine and, during his absence, he picked up a radio transmission from Barry Burton, another former S.T.A.R.S. officer who was looking for Valentine, and the two were picked up by his helicopter at helipad after Valentine eliminate definitely Nemesis. Already a second account implies that while Oliveira and Valentine was at the police station, both faced Nemesis while fleing through the station until they reached the roof, where they managed to tear it down of the building and after escaped with the arrival of the rescue helicopter. A third account, however, indicates that, after leaving Valentine safely recovering, Oliveira left for NEST-2 alone to recover Dr. Bard's vaccine stock and prevent the destruction of the city. In the facility, after the failure of the search and discover that Valentine followed him, he assisted her in seriously injuring Nemesis by immersing it in acid fluid and then followed Zinoviev to prevent his escape while Valentine finished eliminating the B.O.W.. However, Oliveira was eventually dominated on the helipad and was left unconscious to be used as bait by Zinoviev to disarm Valentine. When he was about to execute her and flee with the helicopter, Oliveira regained consciousness and managed to immobilize Zinoviev long enough for Valentine to shoot him, incapacitating him. They then escaped with the helicopter and abandoned Zinoviev. Regardless of what actually happened, Oliveira and Valentine escaped minutes before the experimental thermobaric bomb destroyed the city.
Post Raccoon's Destruction
After the events in Raccoon City, Oliveira and Valentine went to a hotel bar located somewhere on the coast of the United States and had a drink before saying goodbye. Later, Oliveira escaped the U.S. via Mexico and returned to reside in South America. He continued to harbor anger towards Umbrella.
- Sumner, Christian; Shotten, Brian; Owen, Michael, eds (9 November 2005). Resident Evil Archives: Umbrella's Virus Uncovered. Translated by Zpang America, Inc.. BradyGames. ISBN 0744006554.
- Ōno, Tetsuya; Masui, Kō, eds (31 March 2005). biohazard archives. Famitsu. ISBN 4-906-582-31-1.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Sumner, Shotten, Owen (eds). Archives. p.122
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis manual
- ↑ Benson Mokhtar (@benson_mokhtar) - Instagram
- ↑ BIOHAZARD 3 LAST ESCAPE OFFICIAL GUIDEBOOK, page 335
- ↑ BIOHAZARD 3 LAST ESCAPE OFFICIAL GUIDEBOOK - Fulfilment Of Her Escape, page 007
- ↑ Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (2007), file: "Carlos Oliveira Profile"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), file: "Mercenary's Diary".
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Exiting with Carlos".
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), file: "Operation Instruction".
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Together for the Escape"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Mikhail's request"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Jill and Carlos reach the subway"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Receiving message from Carlos"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Meeting Carlos"
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (2007), level: "Raccoon's Destruction"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Coming to Kill You"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Together for the Escape".
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Nemesis in the tram"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Pride and Valor"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Don't Lose Courage/No Rest for the Wicked"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "From Relief to Terror"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Carlos' appearance after the fight"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Activating the power"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: ""I'll buy you some time""
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Invincible Nemesis"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Nicholai's betrayal"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Meanwhile near the R.P.D."
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Conversation with Dr. Bard"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Bad news from Jill"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Battle Against the Beast (part 3)"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Bring Back Her Consciousness"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Traitor"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Nicholai shoots Tyrell"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Carlos cures Jill"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Reaching the hospital"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Bringing the truth to light"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: ""You stall for time!""
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "All of a Sudden"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Against the Chopper"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "The Second Chopper"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Euthanasia Of Raccoon City"
- ↑ Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (2007), scene: "Raccoon's Destruction 3 ending"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Detemined to Find Carlos"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Melting Nemesis"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "Every Mistake Has a Cost"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3 (2020), scene: "The End of Raccoon City"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), Jill's ending results 1"
- ↑ Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Jill's ending results 2"
- ↑ Resident Evil Archives, pages 144-145