The Guard, (aka "Chainsaw Man") is a powerful sub-boss in Resident Evil 5. Much like Dr. Salvador in Resident Evil 4, the Guard wields a chain-saw capable of beheading Chris Redfield and Sheva Alomar.
The Guard is of main concern as he travels much faster than the other infected Villagers. If within attacking distance, The Guard will pause shortly to laugh and follow up with a swing towards either Chris or Sheva. If the attack is successful, The Guard will be shown beheading the player, or starting from the neck and slicing downwards.
Though not revealed officially by Capcom, fans speculate that there will indeed be different types of guards, much like Dr. Salvador in Resident Evil 4. The Guard reveals itself in "Shanty Town", easily identified as having grayish skin and rather bloody pants. With a bag tied over his head, The Guard's oversized, deformed eye looks through the only hole.
It's more than likely that players will encounter him numerous times, as his body doesn't disintegrate like others do.
- The Guard is in Shanty Town, only appearing after players have triggered a cutscene by walking up the steps to a gate. He carries Guard's Key, which must be obtained to continue the mission.
The Guard is resilient. He is only really affected by surrounding environments such as barrels, and electrical boxes, grenades, knifing, and direct shots to the head.
- The Guard is often accompanied by several other (for lack of a better term) Villagers. Taking care of the Villagers first can be helpful, but you may not have enough bullets for the Guard.
- Take advantage of the cooperative play. Since the Guard normally chases after the nearest player, have one stand farther back and shoot the barrels, electrical boxes, etc, and have the second run circles around the Guard.
- If you're new Resident Evil 5, avoid using the knife. You remain stationary, and won't be able to react in time if the Guard starts to attack.
- Both players can execute one punch, kick, or some sort of melee while he recovers from an attack. Keep in mind that once he stands back up, you cannot melee until he has stumbled again.
- Use the surrounding environment. Slash down doors ahead of time, and keep shooting barrels and electrical boxes when the Guard gets close. He will stumble, and you can run away once again.
- When beheading either of the players, the camera will pan slightly off the body. It is currently unknown if this is a censor.
- Though having more health and stamina, The Guard is a bit easier to kill than Dr. Salvador from Resident Evil 4. This is most likely because of cooperative play.
- The cutscene introducing the Guard on Shanty Town is interactive. It may show Chris walking up alone, Sheva alone, or both Chris and Sheva walking up together, based on the location of the players before the cutscene.