(Capcom's primary storyline)
- See also: C-Virus (Liberty)
The Chrysalid Virus, commonly abbreviated as "C-Virus", is a variant of the Progenitor virus used in a series of bioterrorist attacks in 2012 and 2013. They are responsible for mutations such as the J'avo.
The C-Virus was created by combining an enhanced version of the Veronica virus with the G-virus variant within Sherry Birkin's blood. Unlike the t-Virus, the C-Virus allows the infected to maintain some of its intelligence, allowing the creatures that mutate from the virus to co-ordinate attacks and use weapons.
An enhanced version of the C-Virus was engineered, but only three syringes containing it are known of — all three used before the end of the Lanshiang conflict. Carla Radames is the only one who knows how to produce it.
- Means of Infection
At this point, the infection methods of the virus are mostly unknown, however two forms of primary infection are known. Direct injection into the blood stream is the first, the result of which is the infectee becoming a J'avo. There are 3 strain types that may cause the user that became j'avo to have different effects. The 1st one is used on Bindi Bergara. Due to the early feature of the strain, she managed to remain her consciousness. The 2nd one is used on Neo-Umbrella members. Since they believed Carla and learned about how Simmons was an obsessed man before, she updated the virus so that they can mutate their body parts at will without having to get them damaged first. For the last strain, a Neo-Umbrella member's genetics was copied. This strain was used on Edonian mercenaries ( Carla introduced these to them as energy boosters.) and Lanshiang citizens (Carla introduced these to them as a product that can cause beauty.). This strain causes any j'avo that's been infected to completely lost their consciousness and automatically obey Carla's orders since all infecteds have the same genetics. A notable feature that can show this is all infecteds have the same body, hair, face etc. Additional features that can cause any j'avo include causing rapid increase in the subject's strength, speed and causing the subject to develop several eyes. Some j'avos can also form chrysalid by taking damage due to the g-virus that's been inside c-virus. However it seems that by using a more advanced strain, subjects injected can immediately enter into a Chrysalid state before erupting into a Complete Mutation.(Haos is a different type of complete mutation.) This is seen when Carla Radames uses a Needle Bomb to inject several BSAA operatives, and again when she shoots B.S.A.A operative, Marco, with a needle. Infecteds' genetics are important when complete mutation is forming due to g-virus' feature. Notable example of infecteds that have special type of genetics include Nanan Yoshihara and Deborah Harper. It would seem that the infection that mutates humans into a Zombie is through a gas-based distribution method, via an airborne strain of the virus. The gas kills any who inhale it and later reanimates the corpses similar to how g-virus can cause corpses to become g-virus zombies. Some zombies can also mutate into a bloodshot by damage and due to progenitor and g-virus part causing the zombie to mutate rapidly. The Lepotica replicates the C-Virus infection through a gas it expels through its pores, as this gas is seen causing a nearly immediate transformation into a Zombie. The HAOS creature developed by Carla housed organs inside its body that produced the same type of gas as the Lepotica, though due to its size would make it capable of infecting a greater area at a greater rate.
As noted in a file on the virus, the C-Virus causes the subject to enter an intense state of febrility. Their body heat increases exponentially and the more damage their body sustains (and subsequently the more they have to regenerate), the hotter their body becomes. Although the C-Virus will allow the J'avo to heal and even mutate (or "evolve") damaged limbs or parts of their body, their body heat will increase to such a point that when they finally succumb to their wounds, their corpses will burn up in bright flames. In some cases, those infected with the C-Virus will exhibit similar symptoms (as seen by the infected BSAA agents in Edonia); when entering a Chrysalid state, their bodies becoming engulfed in flames before the hardened cocoon encases them completely.
When Carla used the blood of Albert Wesker's son, Jake, she was able to create an enhanced version of the C-Virus which eliminated the Chrysalid stage completely. With this enhanced version of the virus, the infected would be able to willingly control various transformations without risking damage to their cellular integrity. The mutations of Simmons greatly exhibited this in his ability to frequently shift back to monstrous canine and dinosaur forms from his broken human form throughout his numerous battles.
Overall, the C-Virus combines the traits and abilities of the two viruses it was derived from, possessing the adaptive mutations of the G-virus and the combustible properties of the T-Veronica virus. The T-Veronica virus is visible in some of the mutations where the mutations usually result in the development of insect-like appendages. A trait seen in Alexia Ashford's later forms, Steve Burnside, and Alexander Ashford. The quick responses to severe physical trauma are a result of the G-Virus. William Birkin would change forms when severely injured. It would seem the T-Veronica virus would act as a restraint to keep the mutations from getting out of hand. Furthermore, Simmons' dinosaur form bears several eye-like growths, a signature feature of G-virus B.O.W.s.
However unlike other strains, users that took damage can still lose their brain cells similar to g-virus infecteds. Notable example to how taking damage can destroy one's brain cells is Simmons. He got squished by a train, fell into water, got impaled by Ada's arrow, fell from high height and was burning at the same time. Due to this; during his recovery form, he didnt have any brain cells left since at that point he felt victim to his instincts and was only interested in using zombies to build up his mutations as well as killing any non-infected humans. Users that will allow the virus to control can also lose their brain cells slowly similar to Javier. This is seen in Piers; in order to have a better chance to defeat haos; he wanted to allow the virus to control since during his last moments; most of his brain cells were destroyed. However unlike g-virus or t-veronica virus, users dont lose any brain cells as long as they dont take any damage or allow the virus to control.
The C-Virus development began in 2001 when the method of designing it was discovered by Dr. Carla Radames, who concentrated her PhD in virology and understanding of biological weaponry to impress her employer, Derek C. Simmons. While considered "obsolescent", the t-Veronica Virus was considered a beneficial base for the virus development, due to the Progenitor Virus' ability to mutate DNA properties. Carla succeeded in removing the t-Veronica Virus' need for the host to go into hibernation in order to co-exist with it; this variant became known as "t-02". Carla quickly began work on the next stage of her development: incorporating the G-Virus' genome into "t-02". Luckily for Carla, through Simmons' links she already had access to samples of the G-Virus present in the regular blood samples taken from Sherry Birkin. She foresaw years of development ahead of her.
The Seabed Laboratory on the Chinese coast was completed and functioning by 2011, with samples of extremophiles being obtained from the high-temperature environment of the nearby underwater volcano. Their resistance in extreme environments made them interesting additions to the virus' makeup. The facility itself was designed with the primary goal of developing the HAOS B.O.W.,.
By June 2011, human trials had reached 323 test subjects. However, 322 died within the first 24 hours. But, with careful detail in understanding the desired traits, the 323rd - the Ustanak - became a successful bio-weapon. The development of that particular B.O.W. shifted from biological research to designing weapons for it by December.
The incubation period of the virus is unknown, but it seems to be very short. If a person becomes infected by a virus cloud then that person can become a zombie within seconds. Liz and her father took significantly longer to transform, it is quite possible that how much of the gas an individual inhales affects how long it takes for the transformation to occur. Though how long it would have taken for her father to do so is unknown, as she killed and ate him before it could continue. Those infected via C-Virus serum will begin immediate transformation into J'avo, and those infected with an advanced strain can be turned into a Chrysalid creature within seconds.
Use in terrorism
The first recorded usage of the C-Virus was during the Marhawa Academy Outbreak sometime in 2012 done by Carla Radames, in which a Lepotica was used to disperse the airborne form of the virus to infect the students of the academy. At that point, the C-Virus existence was unconfirmed until several months later.
The next record of C-Virus usage was during the Edonian Civil War in late 2012, still being completely-unknown to the BSAA beforehand. Carla Radames provided the Edonian Liberation Army with C-Virus samples, which were widely distributed to their soldiers. To lull them into a false sense of security, the men were misinformed about the nature of the samples, believing them instead to be specialized stimulants to improve combat-effectiveness. Due to the effects of Primary infection, the men turned themselves into J'avo. It was Carla herself who told the BSAA operatives she came across about the C-Virus.
After a short time, Umbrella Co. had obtained samples of the C-Virus through unknown circumstances. By October 2012, the Umbrella Co. had been using C-Virus B.O.W.s in the Antarctic Base for mercenary training purposes, prototype weapons testing and disposal of unwanted employees. Although unknown, Umbrella Co. presumably planned to sell C-Virus bio-weapons to the black market.
The next attack took place six months later in June, 2013. In the American city of Tall Oaks, a C-Virus attack took place during President Adam Benford's visit to the nearby Ivy University, where he planned to make a speech on bioterrorism. At least one Lepotica was used to disperse a cloud of the virus across the campus, leading to the transformation of anyone who breathed in infected-air into zombies. Around 70.000 civilians of Tall Oaks were infected during the incident.
Meanwhile, in Lanshiang, China, another C-Virus outbreak occurred. Again, this involved a number of cases of Primary infection, as J'avo were rampant throughout the city. Then in a second attack on the city involved cases of secondary infection which created zombies.
With the use of Jake Muller's blood, the U.S. government managed to create a vaccine for the C-Virus. It was tentatively given the name "Anti-C." However, the vaccine is not an actual means of treatment for the virus per se. If given to a person who has not been infected with the disease, they will be made immune to the virus although it is noted that it is also not a guaranteed means of preventing infection. If Anti-C were to be used on a victim that had already been infected, it would likely prove fatal. The success rate of those infected is incredibly low and those who have already began to exhibit symptoms of the J'avo will definitely be killed if the vaccine were to be administered to them.
The BSAA is tracking Jake Muller to obtain more blood samples from him in the hopes of creating a new vaccine should the C-Virus evolve.
- Airhart, Ben
- Former BSAA operative. Mutated into a Napad. Killed by BSAA support troops.
- Alfonso, Carl
- Former BSAA operative. Mutated into a Napad. Killed by BSAA support troops.
- Benford, Adam
- Former United States president. Mutated into a Zombie. Killed by Leon S. Kennedy.
- Harper, Deborah
- Student at Tall Oaks Ivy University. Mutated into a Zombie. Killed by Helena Harper.
- Macauley, Finn
- Former BSAA European Branch operative. Mutated into a Napad. Killed by BSAA support troops.
- Nivans, Piers
- Former BSAA operative. Injected himself with an enhanced strain of the C-Virus after losing his right arm, growing a new mutated arm with the ability to discharge electricity. Killed in an underwater facility explosion.
- Radames, Carla
- Derek C. Simmons' most loyal scientist. Transformed into an Ada Wong look-alike by The Family under Simmons' order, by injecting a Chrysalid cocoon with Ada's DNA. Injected herself with an overdose of the C-Virus after being shot and mutated into a gigantic white goo creature, hellbent on killing Ada. Killed by Ada Wong.
- Rose, Marco
- Simmons, Derek C.
- Former National Security Advisor. Injected with an enhanced strain of the C-Virus by Carla Radames' J'avo. Could shape shift into either a large canine-like monster, a creature similar to a giant T-Rex, and a massive insect. Killed by Leon S. Kennedy and Helena Harper.
- Walker, Andy
- Former BSAA operative. Mutated into a Napad. Killed by BSAA support troops.
- Yoshihara, Nanan
- Former student of Marhawa Academy, also known as "Test Subject C-16" by Carla Radames. Mutated into the first Lepotica. Due to her genetics, she was half looking human. Killed by Chris Redfield and Piers Nivans.
- Bergara, Bindi
- Former student of Marhawa Academy. Mutated into the first J'avo, also the only known female J'avo as well as the only one that can remain her consciousness. Killed by Chris Redfield and Piers Nivans.
- A zombie created from the C-Virus capable of running and using weapons.
- A rare variant and hulking version of the C-Virus zombie that uses its weight to its advantage.
- A C-Virus zombie variant with mutated lungs capable of producing an ear-piercing scream.
- Zombie Dog C
- Dogs that have been mutated into zombies through the C-Virus infection.
- A zombie mutation that's been activated when one takes damage due to the progenitor and g-virus features. These are more mobile and more vicious with all of its muscle tissue exposed.
- Fully-intelligent humans infected with the C-Virus causing spontaneous regeneration and mutation.
- A Chrysalid is a state that many C-Virus produced creatures enter before erupting as what is known as a "Complete Mutation." Alternatively users that's been injected with advanced strain can also enter this.
- A lizard-like creature with the primary function of frightening intruders. The Strelac is a Complete Mutation hatched from a Chrysalid.
- A highly-intelligent crow-like creature that only feeds on corpses. The Mesec is a Complete Mutation hatched from a Chrysalid.
- A large, hulking creature that is protected by a tough outer shell and thick musculature. The Napad is a Complete Mutation hatched from a Chrysalid.
- A swarm or hornet-like insects that often takes the shape of a human woman. The Gnezdo is a Complete Mutation hatched from a Chrysalid and was actually a failed product of Simmons attempting to recreate Ada Wong.
- A tall creature covered in pores capable of expelling a gas that turns humans into zombies. The Lepotica is a Complete Mutation and was actually a failed product of Simmons attempting to recreate Ada Wong. A
- A Leech-like parasitic creature that can detach and regenerate limbs.
- A behemoth of a creature with a growth on the back of its neck with some kind of metal connector. Chris Redfield and Piers Nivans witness it "hatching" aboard an anti-aircraft ship.
- A creature resembling a monstrous shark that relies on vibrations in the water to hunt its prey.
- A giant, snake-like creature that hunts using its ability to blend in completely with its surroundings.
- A human-shaped monster with its heart in its arm, powering a fused organic chainsaw made of flesh, bone, and muscle tissue. The Ubistvo is a Complete Mutation, its "birth" witnessed by Ada Wong while in China.
- An overly-muscular human-like creature with a metallic arm attachment and a variety of accessories made by Neo Umbrella scientists.
- Large insects created by an organ on Ustanak's back, acting as his "eyes."
- A massive B.O.W. with a skull-like face and lower body resembling that of a centipede and cuttlefish.
- Deborah Harper
- An apparent human with discolored skin and spider-like appendages that can extend from its back. Deborah's mutation is a Complete Mutation.
- Carla Radames
- An enormous shapeless white goo with what remains of Carla's face.
- Derek C. Simmons
- Either a centaur that can mutate his head, a giant T-Rex creature, or a massive insect shaped B.O.W. that can shape shift back and forth to a more human form.
- The color of the C-Virus is green, while it's enhanced C-Virus version is bright red.
- ↑ Resident Evil 6 (2012), file: "The C-Virus".
- ↑ Resident Evil 6 (2012), file: "Carla Radames".
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Resident Evil 6 (2012), file: "Enhanced C-Virus".
- ↑ Producer Interview w/ Game Informer
- ↑ Resident Evil 6 (2012), "The C-Virus".
- ↑ Resident Evil 6 (2012), file: "Underwater Facility".
- ↑ Resident Evil 6 (2012), file: "Lab Report".
- ↑ Resident Evil 6 (2012), file: "Experiment Log".
- ↑ CAPCOM：BIOHAZARD 6 公式サイト INTRODUCTION (page 9) (Japanese). Capcom. Retrieved on 2012-09-27.