Unlike the other Plagas who burst from the neck, Duvalia Plagas will rip apart the host's entire upper body. They appear as shelled, flower-like parasites. Their weak point is the fleshy "tail" that hangs off their back (which is, in fact, the host's upper torso/ribcage), and the fleshy core of the shell, which is only exposed when the Duvalia is about to attack the player or if shot in the legs repeatedly. In addition to these, and the usual weakness to bright light, Duvalia can be blown to pieces with a single hand grenade. A Duvalia has no arms and no jumping ability, making it one of the only foes in the entire game who cannot jump or climb.
In the Mercenaries minigame, the Duvalia gains the ability to jump across gaps and walk up stairs.
Duvalia can also be seen as a capsule-contained toy figure in the Resident Evil 5 bonus features.
- Use a Hand Grenade, instantly blowing it apart.
- Use a Flash Grenade, that can instantly kill it.
- Grenade Launcher's Flash Rounds will instantly kill it with one shot.
- Use a Rocket Launcher, instantly killing it.
- Use a Proximity Bomb to instantly kill it.
- Use a Magnum to shoot its exposed core.
- Before the Majini can transform into a Duvalia, it can be frozen solid with Nitrogen Rounds from the Grenade Launcher and shattered.
- A Duvalia's legs can be fired upon repeatedly to make it kneel and open up its upper body, allowing a clear shot at its core. Even if the Duvalia has leg armor, the ankles and feet are still vulnerable. Shotguns are specially useful for that.
- If a Majini may turn into a Duvalia, it is prudent to shoot it in the legs and Neck Breaker or Throat Slit can be used. Though the player can't be certain about which enemies will erode Plagas or not.
- If it is about to attack, one should quickly approach it from behind and strike using a Stun Rod, dealing instant death.
- Headbutt - Inflicts a moderate amount of damage. The attack is quite slow and can be predicted.
- Bite - Will send the player into the Dying stage. If a Duvalia bites the player a second time before he/she is rescued by the partner, it will remove the entire upper body (causing instant death). The animation is fast and quite similar to the Headbutt.
The Mercenaries Reunion
The Mercenaries 3D
The Duvalia return as miny bosses in certain missions throughout the game. They are a exact replica of thier Resident Evil 5 counterparts. They also have the same weakness as they did in RE5, a single Flash Grenade will still kill it instandly.
Resident Evil: The Deck Building GameDuvalia has been revealed as an Infected card in the Resident Evil DBG expansion, Alliance. Duvalia has an interesting effect; if it defeats a player, the player with the most decorations is given five "ammo x10" cards. This effect is meant to put the player in the lead at a slight disadvantage by giving them cards with minimal amounts of gold and ammo. Duvalia has 60 health, the same as Nemesis from the base set, and can deal 40 damage if the player does not defeat it.
- Strangely, in The Mercenaries 3D when a Duvalia bites the character in half, the legs will disappear and the top half of the character will go through the standard death animation.
- If a Base Majini is swelling with bubbles, it means it's going to turn into a Duvalia. However, this should not be confused with certain Base Majini who swell up and explode - the animation may be similar, but the result is radically different.
- A easy way to know if the Majini is going to explode is to shoot him again. His body will instantly explode if the player hits him one more time.
- Also, differently from the Duvalia pre-erode animation, when about to explode he'll inflate like a balloon (with less bubbles) and move his hands up.
- The first Duvalia appears in the Marshlands in Chapter 3-1 after obtaining the Shaman slate, should the player choose to fight a large wave of Majini instead of fleeing. The next Duvalia will not appear until much later in the game. However, thanks to the Execution Moves (Neck Break and Throat Slit), the player may end up killing the Duvalia Majini without it eroding.
- Since the pieces of flesh hooked to the torso cause the Duvalia pain when shot, it can be assumed that it may have opened the body forcefully but is still attached to all the nerves of the destroyed tissue.
- Duvalia will appear only on Base Majinis or Wetlands Majinis who are infected with Type 3 Plagas, however in The Mercenaries Reunion mini game, Town Majini will turn into Duvalia as well.
- Duvalia refers to a species of plant found in Africa. It's most recognizable feature is a large bulb found inside five shorter appendages.
- The Duvalia looks similar to the Tree of Madagascar also known as "The Man Eating Tree". A crytoid turned out to be a hoax tree that would feed on large animals and humans as well.