There are four different types of eggs: Gold, White, Brown and Rotten. White eggs are the most common, then Brown, then Gold and Rotten.
In-game, eggs can either be eaten for health recovery or thrown at the enemy. Gold eggs are the most sought after as they fully restore the player's health when eaten. Gold, White, and Brown eggs have a chance of stunning an enemy when thrown at them, though being hit with a Rotten egg will make a Majini drop dead no matter how much health they have. Killing a Majini this way unlocks the "Egg on your Face" achievement/trophy. (15G for the Xbox 360 or a Bronze for the PlayStation 3).
Eggs in Resident Evil 5 vary in value, with Rotten Eggs selling for highest, and White Eggs selling for lowest.
- Rotten Egg - N 2,000
- Gold Egg - N 1,000
- Brown Egg - N 500
- White Egg - N 250
- The aiming and throwing animations are the same as holding grenades.
- Unlike Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 4 has no rotten eggs, only White, Brown and Gold.
- In Resident Evil 5, eating a rotten egg will cause a player to go into the Dying state, and if not revived will die.
- In Resident Evil 5, throwing a rotten egg at Majini will kill them in one hit, exceptions are bosses, but they will receive high damage. Additionally, if a Majini is killed by an egg, he or she won't spout a plaga, no matter what.
- In Resident Evil 5, the "Rotten Egg Glitch" (both systems work), is when one player gives a rotten egg via online play. The person who received the egg can quit the game and save. The person who gave the egg cannot. You can keep doing this to get all your inventory spaces filled. Once sold, all of your rotten eggs should give you 90,000 money in return.
- In Resident Evil 4, eggs are nowhere close to deadly, but if thrown at a Ganado that is jumping over a body of water (ex. the dam in chapter 2) they will fall in. If you throw an egg at a Ganado in the face, they will act as if they were shot in the face, making them susceptible to reaction commands.
- In Resident Evil 4, a player can break the eggs if they shoot or hit them with a knife.
- In Resident Evil 4, while on the Inventory Menu, equipping an egg will show Leon playfully throwing the egg up and catching as it fall.
- The Merchant and Krauser are the only two enemies inmune to the egg.