"An abandoned building in a foggy forest. All around us were the echoes of some forgotten tragedy. Enveloped in evil, we pressed onward.
flashback, known as Memory (記憶 Kioku ) in the Japanese game, is the fourth scenario of Resident Evil Outbreak File #2 (the first being the Outbreak Revisited training scenario), and is centered around an abandoned hospital in the Arklay Mountains.
When Alyssa Ashcroft takes refuge in an old cabin, Al enters the cabin and welcomes her. He guides Alyssa (or "Lures") her to the Abandoned hospital, and suddenly disappears once Alyssa reaches the old rope bridge leading to the Hospital. Alyssa must destroy all of the mini plants to anger or "Activate" the main plant in the basement. After killing the boss plant, it spits out Al's dead wife that had died of cancer years ago. Alyssa has to escape the hospital from the backdoor before the hospital collapses due to the death of the boss plant.
Al: "I don't get many visitors around here."
I hear the city's in quite a state right about now.
Well, there is an old road through these woods that leads to the neighboring town.
It's easy to get lost, I'm afraid. Let me show you the way.
Let's hope no one gets hurt.
It's not like there's a decent hospital around here, after all.
- Green Zombie - a poisonous zombie with plants growing out of it.
- Scissor Tail - a mutant insect that appears in the Forest on harder difficulties.
- Axe Man - a Nemesis-like foe that will repeatedly stalk you with an Axe.
- Giant Wasp
- Dorothy - a large plant comparable to Plant 42 - it wants people to stay inside so it can consume them.
You start the scenario in a cabin in the forest, and must follow the old man through the mountains, dodging the Green Zombie along the way. Eventually, you will lose track of him. If Alyssa is not part of your team in easier difficulties, her AI will pause half way to the hospital, saying she is too tired to carry on when interacting with her and will then give you a FIRST AID SPRAY and her STUN GUN. If you are on harder difficulties, she will simply turn into a Zombie.
Shortly upon arriving at the hospital, the Axe Man's arrival will be triggered. The enemy is comparable with the titular enemy in Resident Evil 3: Nemesis in that he will continue to follow you around the level. You can draw him away with continuous firepower in an encounter, but ammunition shortages may keep you to dodging attacks.
As parts of the hospital's upper levels are blocked by mutant plants, they must be dealt with first. Collect a chemical-filled syringe (they can be re-filled in a storeroom in the basement) and inject the chemical into the plant. Doing so on the upper level for the first time will allow access to another room, containing a key and empty bottles.
--- Dropping down to the floor below, you will find yourself next to an exit. However, Dorothy will instinctively wrap its roots/tentacles around the door knob to jam it, leaving you sealed. But, with all of the roots withered, it is now time to fight Dorothy. Proceed down the stairs to the basement area and walk into the ICU. Its weak spot is a red opening on the plant's bulb - if you have any bottles with you, you can throw them at it as well as fire. Be advised, however, that it will use tentacles to protect itself, suspending you in the air for a time.
Once the boss has been defeated, the hospital will start to collapse. Run back to the area where Dorothy sealed the door; the vine has withered away and it can now be opened. Staying inside for too long will eventually kill you when the rubble falls down.
Character specific secrets
When playing as Alyssa Ashcroft, extra cut-scenes will be added. These occur when Alyssa enters a certain room. It shows things that happened there in 1993.
- Suspension Bridge - an injured man warns Alyssa not to go to the hospital.
- Outside Hospital - two Police officers discuss on if there were survivors.
- Room 201 - Kurt being eaten by the zombified Dorothy Lester. He whispers, "Alyssa".
- Administrators room - 2 people, one Al Lester, discuss.
- If Alyssa collects all of her flashbacks and clues, her special ending will be played showing one more flashback.
Once the masked maniac with the axe begins to attack Alyssa, she can either continue to run from him throughout the whole scenario or damage him enough to make him flee for good (when a scene is played with him backing off then running away) an extra scene is added to the ending after you escape the collapsing hospital. The scene shows Alyssa running out of the hospital, then Al holding his dead wife with happiness that he can finally see her one more time, when a huge rock from the ceiling falls on them, crushing them both ...
Side-quests and alternate endings
The player can choose to turn back once they reach the front of the hospital, and return to the cabin. Once there, wait outside the cabin for an extended period of time. Eventually the bridge leading to the hospital will give out, barring access. Once the scene is triggered, a non-infected woman named Regan appears inside the cabin. Upon ad-libbing to her, she explains that her daughter Lucy is lost somewhere in the woods. She gives up her Pendant, which she says will make Lucy more willing to trust you. After going through the woods, avoiding Scissor Tails along the way, a select path will lead to the shore of a river, where Lucy will be waiting for you. Upon ad-libbing to her and showing her the Pendant, she will go back to the cabin herself without escort. Upon returning you are rewarded with a Shotgun E (or possibly something else depending on the difficulty).
From here the player can take another suspension bridge to escape the woods, leaving the mystery of the hospital behind. Alternatively, the player can skip the Regan and Lucy quest altogether and simply leave once the bridge to the hospital gives out. Either way, many Green Zombies and Giant Wasps crowd the second bridge, making the trek across quite difficult. Choosing to leave without doing anything will result in a poor score for the scenario, naturally.
- Alyssa Ashcroft - Appears whether part of your team or not.
- Albert Lester - The "Axe Man". Killed by falling debris in some endings.
- Dorothy Lester - The wife of Albert. A plant has grown around her.
- Kurt - A reporter and colleague of Alyssa. Killed by Al in 1993.
- Regan and Lucy Mallet - A mother and child who fled into the Arklay Mountains and got lost.
- Other than Sherry Birkin from Resident Evil 2, Lucy is the only small child ever present during actual gameplay in a Resident Evil title.
- This level is very similar to The Hive in the original Outbreak. They both are the third story level, taking place in a hospital, and both feature invincible enemies trying to kill you up to a certain point.
- This is the third scenario in the outbreak series where the player can die and still pass.
- Also this is one of the two scenarios that can be done by an alternate way without confronting the "final boss" - the other being "Outbreak", where the player can avoid the main street confrontation.
- Alyssa makes an apparence in this scenario, regardless she´s an AI or not, however her fate changes depending on the mode it is being played; If the player is on easy and normal modes, Alyssa will go after Lester wondering into the woods, however she decides she´s tired and if the players talks to her, they´ll get a Stunt gun and a First aid spray, however in hard and very hard and hell modes, Alyssa will be found dead and she will spawn as a Hyper zombie.
|Preceded By||Position||Succeeded By|