This page contains the health related game mechanics that appear in Resident Evil 2 remake.
Health is a single gauged value that when it reaches 0, the character dies and gameplay concludes as a game over; there is no secondary "dying" state in this game.
Health is divided into different "condition" levels that are visually represented by different ECG signals on the player's status screen that displays a corresponding label, color & heart rate. The ECG signal dynamically appears outside the player's status screen when the health condition has been changed due to inflicted damage or poisoning. The player's condition will also affect the player character's stance.
There are also two health related statuses "poisoned" and defensive buff from certain items.
Healing can only be done by using healing items in the inventory menu. However, entering Raccoon City after the escape from the Mizol Gas Station during the 1st run scenario fully restores the player's health regardless of difficulty.
The following chart provides an overview about the health point values in Resident Evil 2 remake and their associated statuses:
When poised health gradually decreases and there are also changes in the player character's stance and movement:
- Randomly coughing, which can interfere player movement and weapon handling (Poisoned)
Once the player's health value has reached a certain threshold, the Poisoned health condition will no longer gradually decrease the health points further. Coughing however will persist until the status has been cured regardless of the player's health points.
While under the effect of poison, healing items won't restore the player's health points beyond the minimum HP values in their respective difficulties. Mixed Herb (G+B) and Mixed Herb (G+R+B) are both an exception from this rule.
The following attacks can cause the poison status;
- G-Adult: Grab attack where they spit over the player character
- G-Young: Colliding with the player
- Poison Zombie (The Ghost Survivors): Player character gets bitten by the zombie or colliding with the purple smoke
Reduced Damage, also called "Shield State" (シールド状態 shīrudo-jōtai ) in Japanese, is a temporary increase in defense alongside poison immunity gained after using either the Mixed Herb (R+B) or Mixed Herb (G+R+B).
When the effect is about to go away, the icon will start blinking, and then vanish.
- The "Frugalist" record is awarded by completing a scenario without using a recovery item.
- The PS4 version of the game features unique controller lights which changes depending on the character's health, for both "Fine" statuses, the color is green, for "Caution", the color turns orange, and for "Danger", it turns red.
- During Sherry's segment, the color of the PS4 controller will reflect Claire's condition and not Sherry's. In addition, Sherry's inventory has no health display during her segment.