— Kamiya's popular phrase on Twitter
Hideki Kamiya (神谷 英樹 Kamiya Hideki , born December 19, 1970) is a video game designer formerly employed by Capcom and "Clover Studio". He is currently working with former Clover Studio members at Platinum Games.
After graduating from college, Kamiya applied for jobs at various game developers. He was turned down by SEGA and had an application accepted by Namco. However, Namco wanted him to be an artist rather than his desire to be a game designer. Kamiya joined Capcom as a designer in 1994. His early works included planner of the original Resident Evil and director of Resident Evil 2 at age 23. He was also the writer for Resident Evil 2, though his script was totally re-written by FLAGSHIP. He was later the director of both Devil May Cry and the original Viewtiful Joe. In 2006, Kamiya worked as the director for the PlayStation 2 version of Clover Studio's Ōkami.
He joined former Capcom colleagues, including Atsushi Inaba and Shinji Mikami, to create a new company, shortly before Clover Studio was closed by Capcom in late 2006. This new company, later named PlatinumGames, announced a three-game deal with publisher SEGA. Included in the deal was an original game by Kamiya titled Bayonetta.
As a game designer, Kamiya states that he has been most inspired by the games The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Gradius. His favorite action game is the original Castlevania.
Contributions to the franchise
Kamiya was responsible for providing the name "Joseph" to the character Joseph Frost, taken from "Joseph Joestar" of the Japanese manga Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Hideki has also credited himself with the conceiving of Brad Vickers returning as a zombie in Resident Evil 2, along with the establishment of character traits in that game. A specific example of this is the idea of Elza Walker/Claire Redfield being a biker.
- Bayonetta 3 (TBA) - director
- Scalebound (cancelled) - director
- Bayonetta 2 (2014) - writer, supervisor
- The Wonderful 101 (2013) - director
- Bayonetta (2009) - director
- Ōkami (2006) - story, director
- Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble! (2005) - game design, story
- Viewtiful Joe 2 (2004) - story
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (2004) - voice actor
- Viewtiful Joe (2003) - director
- Resident Evil 0 (2002) - Original game design
- Devil May Cry (2001) - director
- Resident Evil 2 (1998) - director
- Resident Evil (1996) - system planner
- Arthur to Astaroth no Nazo Makaimura (1996) - planner
- Sinclair, Brendan (February 14, 2007). Clover vets reunite, form Seeds. GameSpot. Retrieved on 2009-12-21.
- Kato, Matthew (December 2009). "Action Hero: An Interview With Platinum Games' Hideki Kamiya". Game Informer (GameStop): 11.
- Platinum Games interview with Atsushi Inaba and Takahisa Taura at BitSummit 7 Spirits
- @PG_kamiya (2013-10-11). I did. It was junk. RT @NewsBotPU: Hi Kamiya, did you write the scenario for Biohazard 1.5 or was there another writer?.
- GAME Watch
- Mielke, James (August 18, 2006). The Kamiya Touch: An Interview with Clover's Hideki Kamiya. 1UP.com. Retrieved on 2009-04-06.
- @PG_kamiya (Sep 6, 2011). Joseph. That's y I named one of S.T.A.R.S. "Joseph". RT @K0L0NEL: What is your favorite character in ジョジョの奇妙な冒険? Dio?.
- @PG_kamiya (29 May 2013). 1) Isao Oishi 2) Me. RT @NewsBotPU Do you remember who drew the STARS logo in BIO1 and decided to use "Zombie Brad Vickers" in BIO2?.
- @PG_kamiya (2013-11-27). twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/329170415136153600 RT @ValNogueirah: Who created Claire, Ada, and Leon? Mikami created a character to RE2?.
- @PG_kamiya (17 August 2014). Sure. RT @keika_d : I recently reinstalled Resident Evil 2 and it's still the best :). Was making Claire a biker your idea?.
- Resident Evil 0 (GCN) credits - MobyGames
- Resident Evil (PS) credits - MobyGames
- Kamiya's blog at Platinum Games
- Kamiya's Twitter page
- Hideki Kamiya at Wikipedia
- Hideki Kamiya at IMDB
- Hideki Kamiya at RAWG
- Hideki Kamiya at Mobygames