"A prototype weapon made by Umbrella's armament dept. It uses special bullets equipped with a sensor."
— Basic weapon description
"アンブレラ兵装部門が作った試作兵器だ センサー付きの特殊弾を使用している "
— Basic weapon description - Japanese
Mine Thrower (マインスロアー mainsuroā ) is a weapon featured in Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. It was an experimental weapon designed by Umbrella and issued to at least one UBCS operative during the Raccoon City Destruction Incident.
The weapon launches small dart-shaped proximity mines which can attach to surfaces and explode after a few seconds. These darts can also be used to attach to enemies directly, somewhat akin to a miniature rocket launcher, but with a slight delay between impact and detonation.
The mine thrower will damage Jill if she is too close when the dart explodes. Thus, is not recommended against fast moving enemies, lest they get in close with Jill and the exploding mine damages them both.
Mine Thrower Enhanced
"A mine thrower loaded with special bullets that have auto-trace feature."
— Description when with infinite ammo
— Description when with infinite ammo - Japanese
When the Mine Thrower is combined with the Infinite Bullets case, it gains infinite ammunition. The mine darts gain a homing ability that will automatically seek enemies and guide the darts towards their heads.
Upon impact with an enemy, the dart will explode instantly, then exit target, and seek the next nearest enemy. It will detonate on every single hit, often resulting in a single dart killing everything in range.
- Take note that this weapon cannot be reloaded until it is empty. When it is emptied, it can't be reloaded by pressing the action button in-game, forcing you to go to the menu and combine the ammo with the weapon.
- When upgraded with infinite bullets, the homing darts track their targets and explode on impact, piercing through various enemies.
- This was the first weapon in the Resident Evil series to cause damage to the player if ignited too close to them.
- The ammo for the Mine Thrower will not be found anywhere until the weapon is first collected.
- BIOHAZARD 3 LAST ESCAPE OFFICIAL GUIDEBOOK. Famitsu. 1999.