(Capcom's primary storyline)
— The Nemesis' only spoken word
Nemesis-T Type (ネメシス-Ｔ型 nemeshishu-tī-gata ) was a series of experimental Bio Organic Weapons. Created by Umbrella Europe's No. 6 Laboratory, the Nemesis-T Types were the culmination of the Nemesis Project with the successful implantation of NE-α parasites within T-103 hosts, presenting Umbrella with a highly intelligent and powerful creature. Several Nemesis-T Types were produced, though only one is known to have experienced combat. This Nemesis was nicknamed the "Pursuer (追跡者 tuisekisha )".
Umbrella Pharmaceuticals ultimate goal was the creation of Bio Organic Weaponry to sell to the US Army and, through accumulated revenue, fund its own eugenics program. A major flaw found during the t-Virus Project was that low intelligence was an almost unavoidable side-effect and, as a result, R&D projects typically ruled against the practicality of uncontrollable B.O.W.s on the battlefield.[excerpt 1] Though the Hunter Project was promising, the clone species' intelligence still limited them to knowing thirty commands. To become truly military-grade, Umbrella needed to develop B.O.W.s with near or like human intelligence.
By 1988 Umbrella USA and Umbrella Europe were competing to do just this. Umbrella USA's Arklay Laboratory set up the Tyrant Project, which aimed to create human mutants without loss of intelligence. Umbrella Europe's No.6 Laboratory, meanwhile, began the Nemesis Project, which aimed to create parasitic organisms that would take over brain functions in a B.O.W. host. Both projects reached impasses which would not be resolved for years to come, with the Tyrant Project lacking results for ten years until the completion of T-002, and the Nemesis Project finding no hosts which could survive the procedure.
By the Summer of 1998, Umbrella USA had successfully created not only the T-002, but a series of genetically altered clones dubbed the "T-103"s. The destruction of the Arklay Laboratory following a biological disaster presented Umbrella with fresh concerns as to the reliability of its products after it emerged a small police team had not only succeeded in killing the failed and outdated prototypes but the T-002 itself. Restarting the Nemesis Project, Umbrella Europe requisitioned several of the new T-103 clones to serve as test subjects. The NE-α parasites planted within their bodies succeeded in hijacking brain functions without killing the hosts. Soon after this procedure, however, at least two of the Nemesis-T Types demonstrated completely unexpected senses of ego and self-awareness, and made an attempt to escape from their laboratory.[excerpt 2]
When Umbrella got word of a t-Virus outbreak in Raccoon City, Umbrella Europe began shipping its B.O.W.s over to the city to take advantage of the crisis. Per HQ's plan, the U.B.C.S. were to engage these B.O.W.s, and Monitors in the city were instructed to record the B.O.W.s' combat skills to verify their reliability as military products. One of the Nemesis-T Types, hereafter "The Pursuer", was deployed via helicopter,[excerpt 3] and given the instructions to hunt down and kill S.T.A.R.S. members, of whom it was shown photographs of so they could be recognized.[excerpt 4] Umbrella was incensed at S.T.A.R.S.' destruction of the T-002 and their attempts to out their bio-weapons research, and so chose its survivors as the Pursuer's targets. In tracking and killing them, it would prove its ability to recognize targets. It was also provided with a rocket launcher, which would test its ability to use weapons.
The first S.T.A.R.S. member the Pursuer spotted was Alpha Team's pilot, Brad Vickers, on or before the night of 28 September. Vickers was chased across Uptown Raccoon City and attacked and seriously wounded at the Raccoon Police Station. Alpha Team member Jill Valentine was with Vickers at the time, and the Pursuer began stalking her across the city. It did not, however, attack at all opportunities; while Valentine talked with UBCS survivors inside a tram, the Pursuer watched from a distance to assess the situation and identified the three survivors as secondary targets.[excerpt 5] Aware of the Pursuer and having orders to study it, UBCS Monitor Sgt. Nikolai Zinoviev faked his death in the hopes he would not be recognized as a target. This plan failed, though the Pursuer did not kill him. As the group escaped on the tram, the Pursuer made its move and boarded it, where it was shot at repeatedly by Cpt. Mikhail Viktor. Viktor detonated a grenade in an attempt to kill the B.O.W. in a suicide bombing but was unsuccessful. Within the Tyrant, the NE-α parasite began secreting chemicals to enhance its body, and it became stronger as a result.
To deny Valentine and Cpl. Carlos Oliveira a chance to escape via a UBCS helicopter, the Pursuer fired a rocket at it, resulting in the destruction of the helicopter and much of the St. Michael Clock Tower. In a fight with Valentine, the Pursuer succeeded in infecting her with a t-Virus strain. It was, however, unable to kill her due to the intervention of Cpl. Oliveira, who destroyed its rocket launcher. The Pursuer staggered through the clock tower ruins, but finally collapsed unconscious in the flames.
Though it made no apparent effort to kill Valentine while she lay unconscious for two days at the clock tower, it turned its attention to Cpl. Oliveira while he searched for a vaccine. On the early hours of 1 October, it made its way to Raccoon City's industrial zone to the north and cornered Valentine at a bridge over the Circular River. Rather than fight the creature, Valentine jumped into the water below. The two met again within Umbrella's Incineration Disposal Plant P-12A, a facility used to process biowaste. There, the Pursuer was sealed within a chamber for dumping biowaste into a treatment tank. The T-103 body was virtually destroyed by the treatment chemicals, though the parasite survived and escaped, encased within a horrendously mutated torso appearing little more than a blob of flesh with tentacles. Valentine was able to activate Paracelsus' Sword, an experimental US Army rail cannon, which caused further trauma to the B.O.W., and it was finally killed by a series of Magnum rounds.
- BIOHAZARD 3 LAST ESCAPE OFFICIAL GUIDEBOOK. Famitsu. 1999.
- Excerpt from Conquest of Nemesis: "寄生生物「NE-α型」――通称ネメシスによって外部から悩を制御させることで、 T-ウィルスの副次的作用である知性の著しい低下を克服した最新B.O.W.。 ベースとなっているのは、 すでにある程度の完成度を持つ量産型タイラントだが、 被支配関係にあるネメシスが分泌する細胞賦活成分の影響で、 その外観はより怪物じみたものへと変容している。 思考能力は徒来のB.O.W.にくらべ格段に高く、 自己の判断で継続的に任務を遂行するほか、 ロケットランチャーなど専門的な知識を必要とする武装を、 状況に応じて使いわけることさえも可能。 全身を包むコートは防弾・耐爆仕様で、 万一の爆走を抑える拘束衣の役割をも果たしている。"
- Excerpt from Complete Conquest of Nemesis, p.81: "”洋館事件” で得られた貴重な実戦データの検証により、 アンブレラの生物兵器研究チームは、 T-ウィルスを用いて造られたB.O.W.のほとんどが、 そのままでは”商品”たり得ないほどに低い知性しか持ち合わせていないという事実を認識するに至った。 究極の完成体と考えられていたタイラントでさえ、 命令を満足に実行することはできなかった――この結果に対し、 各支部の研究チームはそれぞれに異なるアプローチで知性向上の可能性を模索することになる。 その回答のひとつとして提示されたのが、 本社直属のヨーロッパ支部で以前から研究がつづけられていた、 まったく別種の新生物を寄生させることでB.O.W.の能力を強化しつつ、 その頭脳をも完全に支配下においてコントロールしようという独創的な、 そしてより悪魔的な生体改造法であった。 そうして開発されたのが、 寄生生物「NE-a型」――通称ネメシスである。 これらは細胞レベルで生物兵器の脊髄に移植されると、 その体内のT-ウィルス細胞を取りこんで増殖し、 延髄付近に独自の脳を形成する。 同時に中枢神経を侵食して宿主の前頭葉を破壊し、 残る脳機能をすべて自己の脳と連動するよう神経回路を改変してしまう。 このようにしてネメシスは宿主に成りかわって思考をつかさどり、 肉体を我がものとして完全に制御するのである。 なお、 これらを最新型のタイラントに移植した実験体「ネメシスーT型」に関しては、 興味深い報告がなされている。 ネメシスの培養過程で自我が芽生え、 仲間とともに施設から脱走をくわだてたという事例である。 それは実験体の知性が飛躍的に向上したことを示すとともに、 B.O.W.が人類に反旗をひるがえす新たな知的生命体となり得る危険性をも示唆している。そのとき、 人類は生き残れるのだろうか――？".
- Excerpt from Famitsu interview with Yasuhisa Kawamura: Q2. The Pursuer, through what method was it inserted into Raccoon City? A2. The Tyrant was airlifted by a dedicated carrier such as a helicopter. Also, the Hunters were brought in in large numbers by land.
- Excerpt from Famitsu interview with Yasuhisa Kawamura: Q4. How does the Pursuer seem to find S.T.A.R.S. members? A4. The Pursuer's development team were also in charge of educating it; an officer would bait the Pursuer with footage of the S.T.A.R.S. members. Since the Pursuer is intelligent, it understood and carried out its orders.
- Excerpt from Famitsu interview with Yasuhisa Kawamura: Q18. Why did the Pursuer kill Nikolai? A18. The Pursuer saw Nikolai and Jill interact, watching them talking several times and recognised Nikolai as an associate of Jill's. "That woman is dangerous......" - his concern became a reality and he lost his life.
- Capcom. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles. (Capcom Co., Ltd.). File: Nemesis T-Type (Pursuer) Notes.
- Wesker's Report II.
- Conquest of Nemesis, p.78. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name ":2" defined multiple times with different content
- Complete Conquest of Nemesis, p.81.
- Famitsu interview with Yasuhisa Kawamura.
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), scene: "Imminent Slaughter".
- Complete Conquest of Nemesis, p.80.