RESEARCH ON BIOHAZARD 2 final edition (バイオハザード2 研究読本 Baiohazādo 2 kenkyū dokuhon ) is a supplementary book for Resident Evil 2. It was published by Micro Design Publishing, Inc. at 210 pages in length. It is covered in detailed information; sketches; screenshots; character and monster profiles, and many more. This guide also includes staff interviews.
Translations can be found here.
- 1 Content
- 1.1 Monsters (p.8-37)
- 1.2 Characters (p.38-47)
- 1.3 Official documents collection (p.48-61)
- 1.4 Arsenal information (p.62-67)
- 1.5 "BIO HAZARD" as "Resident Evil" (p.68-69)
- 1.6 Goods (p.70-71)
- 1.7 Anatomical Atlas (p.73-130)
- 1.8 Hideki Kamya interview (p.131-146)
- 1.9 Yoshiki Okamoto interview (p.147-149)
- 1.10 Keiji Inafune interview (p.150-151)
- 1.11 Shinji Mikami (p.152-153)
- 1.12 Social Assessment (p.154-161)
- 1.13 Description of user's impression (p.162-165)
- 1.14 Reviews (p.166-170)
- 1.15 Dialogue (p.171)
- 1.16 DualShock Ver. (p.172-173)
- 1.17 ZOMBIES NOT DEAD (p.174-176)
- 1.18 Zombie research (p.177-182)
- 1.19 Influences (p.183-185)
- 1.20 Glossary (p.186-190)
- 1.21 1.5 Version (p.191)
- 1.22 Editor's note (p.192-194)
- 1.23 Kenzo Okamoto's world (p.195-197)
- 1.24 HUNK and Tofu Mode (p.198-210)
- 2 Gallery
- 3 Bibliography
- 4 Sources
Official documents collection (p.48-61)
The "設定資料集" section details concept art and CG skins.
Arsenal information (p.62-67)
"BIO HAZARD" as "Resident Evil" (p.68-69)
This section compares the Japanese version of the game with the international release.
The Goods section displays a number of promotional items released.
Anatomical Atlas (p.73-130)
This section displays screenshots from each cutscene of the game, accepting both characters' respective 'A' and 'B' paths.
Hideki Kamya interview (p.131-146)
Yoshiki Okamoto interview (p.147-149)
Keiji Inafune interview (p.150-151)
Keiji's family name is misspelled in Romaji as "Inahune".
Shinji Mikami (p.152-153)
Shinji's personal name is misspelled in Romaji as "Sinji"
Social Assessment (p.154-161)
Description of user's impression (p.162-165)
DualShock Ver. (p.172-173)
In this two-page strip, the development of Resident Evil 2 is shown in manga form.
ZOMBIES NOT DEAD (p.174-176)
This section demonstrates the zombie continued "life" in video games, and lists twenty five titles/franchises from games actually featuring zombies (The House of the Dead, 1996), to those featuring the undead in some way (Myth: The Fallen Lords, 1997).
Zombie research (p.177-182)
This section describes early concepts of zombiism found in pagan mythology; Christian theology and 19th and 20th century horror literature.
This section deals with the direct influences on Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 in film. It is split into three categories - plot; creature design and weapons.
The first category features Dawn of the Dead, which it cites for its focus on human confrontation (referring to the biker gang plotline). The book also cites inspiration in the beginning of the film, where a S.W.A.T. team clears an apartment building of zombies.[excerpt 1]
James Cameron's 1986 hit film Aliens is listed as #5. This film and others in its series involve the alien creatures being born through forcible implantation into a human body as an embryo. The fully-developed foetus would then exit the body by erupting from the chest. These two concepts were placed into Resident Evil 2 as part of the "G" reproductive cycle.
The glossary section in this book is extensive.
Brad Renfro receives mention in an entry identifying him as the actor who played Leon in the TV commercial, and that he was arrested for drug possession in June 1998 (while the book was still being written).
1.5 Version (p.191)
Editor's note (p.192-194)
Kenzo Okamoto's world (p.195-197)
HUNK and Tofu Mode (p.198-210)
Information regarding the existence of "The 4th Survivor" and "The Tofu Survivor" already made it onto the Internet less than a week after the game's initial release.
- Saitō, Ayumi, ed (1998) (in Japanese). RESEARCH ON BIOHAZARD 2 final edition. Micro Design. ISBN 4-944000-77-4.
- Except from p.183:
"疑問の余地なく 「バイオ」 シリーズがもっとも影響を受けている作品。街中にあふれ返ったゾンビに対し、 各地で人間たちが生き残りを賭けた絶望的な戦いを繰り広げていく。とくにメインとなるのが、 ゾンビ対S.W.A.T.隊員の苛烈なバトルで、 この部分が 「バイオ」 の基本的な世界になっているといっていいだろう。残酷描写も多いが、 主眼は醜い対立をする人間側に置かれており、 ドラマとしての完成度が高い。物語的には、 後述の『ナイト・オブ・ザ・リビングデッド』の続編にあたる。"
- バイオハザード2 研究読本. Google Books. http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/バイオハザード2_研究読本.html?id=fz5iPQAACAAJ&redir_esc=y. Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- Saitō, Ayumi (ed.), Research, p.189
- Saitō, Ayumi (ed.), Research, p.190
- Saitō, Ayumi (ed.), Research, p.201