"This specially tuned demo allows you to experience the newly reimagined Resident Evil 2, but be warned: whilst you can continue as many times as you like after dying, you'll only have 30 MINUTES to complete the demo. Take in the horror atmosphere at your own pace, or make a desperate dash to solve all the puzzles Raccoon Police Department has to offer? The choice is yours!"
The name of the demo is a reference to the 30 minutes given to play, it ends once the timer is finished. It was be available between January 11 – 31, 2019, with the full game releasing on January 25.
- Main article: RESIDENT EVIL 2 Leon demo
- Results: Displays the results screen with the "Game Mode", "Completion Time" and "Retries".
- Trailers: Three trailers can be watched: Announcement Trailer, Story Trailer, 1-Shot Special Trailer.
The demo had achievements, but only in the Steam version – all of them are related to the time spent playing:
Below is a table with the lock combinations in the demo:
|Lion statue at the Main hall (2F)||Crown, Lion, Goat||Lion Medallion|
|Safe inside the small room in the West office||9 to the left, 15 to the right, 7 to the left||Hip Pouch|
|Locker inside the Shower Room||BIO||Shotgun Shells (x3 or x6 depending on the Game Rank)|
|Locker closest to the Key (Spade)||RES||MAG Ammo x5|
|Unicorn statue at the Lounge||Bird, Girl, Harp||Unicorn Medallion|
- The First Aid Spray is not present in the Main Hall (1F).
- The Green Herb was replaced with Handgun Ammo in the Main Hall (2F, west side).
- The combination to get the Lion Medallion has been changed from Lion, Plant, Eagle to Crown, Lion, Goat.
- The last page in the Officer's Notebook file has been changed.
- The Wooden Boards are not present in the Reception.
- The Rookie's First Assignment file and the two locks next to it (which gave the High-Capacity Mag. (Matilda) upgrade) are not present in the West office.
- Magnum Ammo has been renamed to "MAG ammo".
- In the Uses of Gunpowder file, the text "Magnum Ammo" was replaced with "MAG ammo" to reflect the change.
- The Portable Safe and Portable Safe Instructions file are not present in the Shower Room.
- The locker combination inside the Shower Room was changed from "CAP" to "BIO".
- The locker combination closest to the Key (Spade) was changed from "DCM" to "RES".
- The paper shown in the background while reading the To any survivors file has been changed, it's now the same used in the Rookie's First Assignment file instead of the short and bloody paper.
- The hanging zombie at the West Storage Room now falls down to the ground when his legs are shot off, he used to stay at the ceiling in the other versions of the demo.
- The combination to get the Unicorn Medallion has been changed from Two Fish, Scorpion, Jar to Bird, Girl, Harp.
- The Red Book (Art Object) is not present in the Library.
- An "Assisted" game mode is now available if the player dies during the demo.
- There is only one loading screen present in this version of the demo instead of two.
- When the demo is finished, the "Thank You for Playing." text will appear but not the image of Leon with the release date of the game. If the time runs out, the text will appear as well but instead of the results screen following it, the main keyart of the game is shown.
- When Leon passes from the Operations Room to the Safety Deposit Room corridor, there is a chance his flashlight will completely disappear from his hand, but the light will still shine around.
- If a zombie's limbs are all ripped off, it can still chase and deal damage to the player, however, if the character is standing directly above the zombie, it can end up not turning around to attack the player.
- Jun Takeuchi had the idea for the "30 minutes".
- An online connection was required to play, if the connection was lost during gameplay, the timer would continue after returning to the main menu.
- EMEA players had the chance to earn a free Resident Evil 2 Collector's Edition via the RESIDENT EVIL 2 1-Shot Demo Competition.
- Japanese players also had the chance to earn exclusive prizes via the "1-ShotDemo" Special SNS campaign.
- This demo supported RE.NET.
- The demo was released one day earlier on the PS4 and Xbox One in the OCE region due to timezones and the way the stores are updated on the two platforms.
- Shuhei Yoshida was invited as a guest by Capcom to play the demo.
- By January 15, the demo had been played by over 1.6 million users worldwide according to RE.NET. Four days later, the number of players had crossed the 2 million mark also according to RE.NET. On January 21, it was revealed that the demo had been downloaded over 3 million times.
- RESIDENT EVIL 2 1-Shot Demo on PS4 | Official PlayStation™Store US
- Get RESIDENT EVIL 2 1-Shot Demo - Microsoft Store
- RESIDENT EVIL 2 / BIOHAZARD RE:2 "1-Shot Demo" on Steam.
- Resident Evil 2 1-Shot Demo Official Web Manual
- Capcom: Resident Evil 2 Official Site - Announcing the 1-Shot Demo: 30 minutes of extreme survival horror!
- ↑ RESIDENT EVIL 2 1-Shot Demo - Microsoft Store
- ↑ RESIDENT EVIL 2 / BIOHAZARD RE:2 "1-Shot Demo" on Steam
- ↑ Resident Evil on Twitter:"Thirty minutes, one shot! The Resident Evil 2 “1-Shot” Demo is coming to PS4, Xbox One, and Steam on January 11th! Learn more: ☣️ https://t.co/wBXu6Uv65e… https://t.co/2V6wcLZ1db"
- ↑ Resident Evil 2: Roundtable Part 1 - YouTube
- ↑ Store description: "You must be signed in and have an active internet connection to play. If the application gets disconnected and goes offline during gameplay, the time counter will continue to progress upon returning to the title screen. Please reconnect once the warning message has been displayed, or exit the game once if any disconnection issues have been encountered."
- ↑ "1-ShotDemo"に挑んで豪華賞品を手に入れろ！�スペシャルSNSキャンペーン開催決定！ | CAPCOM:バイオハザードシリーズ 公式サイト
- ↑ GLOBAL STATS | Resident Evil 2 1-Shot Demo WITH RESIDENT EVIL.NET - RESIDENT EVIL.NET
- ↑ Resident Evil on Twitter: "Over 1.6 MILLION people have played the #RE2 Demo! That's complete. Global. Saturation. 🕶️ Grab the "1-Shot" demo for yourself, check out RE NET for the latest stats, and see how you stack up when Resident Evil 2 launches on January 25! ▶️ https://t.co/fcRf3fn2d8… https://t.co/GHVxweHrLw"
- ↑ GLOBAL STATS | Resident Evil 2 1-Shot Demo WITH RESIDENT EVIL.NET - web.archive.org
- ↑ Resident Evil on Twitter: "The Resident Evil 2 “1-Shot” Demo has been downloaded over 3 million times! Grab this 30-minute slice of survival horror before it’s gone on Jan 31, and prepare for your trip to Raccoon City. Resident Evil 2 launches on PS4, XB1, and Steam this week on Jan 25!… https://t.co/faq93HLgnL"