(Capcom's primary storyline)
Raccoon University (ラクーン大学) (referred to in the Biohazard Archives as "Raccoon City College") was an institution in Raccoon City based on the bank of Circular River. In addition to typical college campus facilities, the University housed an advanced laboratory for the Umbrella Corporation. Yoko Suzuki and Valerie Harmon were students at the university, while Greg Mueller and Peter Jenkins worked out of the facilities there.
Raccoon University was founded at some point before the Second World War, with the faculty building designed by a Japanese architect. The bell tower, iconic to the city, was completed in the 1940s at the latest.[note 1] The university's first President was named William A. FitzGerald.
During the t-Virus outbreak that ravaged the city in September 1998, Mueller and Jenkins created an antidote for the virus, named Daylight. Though Jenkins managed to contact his friend George Hamilton, by the time the doctor arrived on campus, Jenkins was already dead. Mueller decided to test out his ultimate creation, the Tyrant Thanatos, releasing it into the University, where it massacred a team of UBCS agents carrying out "Operation: Emperor's Mushroom."
As a small group of survivors explored the campus and obtained Daylight, they witnessed the murder of Mueller by UBCS monitor Nikolai Zinoviev, barely managing to escape in time thanks to the C-4 Explosives Zinoviev planted to cover his own exit. After a final battle with the mutilated Thanatos, the survivors were airlifted out of the city by members of the Raccoon Fire Department. Raccoon University was annihilated along with the rest of the city minutes later during the U.S. Government's airstrike.
- The idea of a university came from Resident Evil planner Yasuyuki Saga. Though there is no mention of the university in the release version of the game, the idea of a university was re-visited in the prototype Resident Evil 2, with Elza Walker introduced as a Raccoon University student. A university lecturer also appeared in the 1997 radio play, Makoba Village Tragedy.
- The university appeared in a promotional map of Raccoon City drawn for Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, and was called the "City College of Raccoon" in BradyGames' translation used in Resident Evil Archives.
- Sumner, Christian; Shotten, Brian; Owen, Michael, eds (9 November 2005). Resident Evil Archives: Umbrella's Virus Uncovered. Translated by Zpang America, Inc.. BradyGames. ISBN 0744006554.
- Ōno, Tetsuya; Masui, Kō, eds (31 March 2005). biohazard archives. Famitsu. ISBN 4-906-582-31-1.
- Outbreak gallery description: "ラクーン大学の象徴とも言える時計塔。 設立当時からほぼ変わらぬ姿で現存しており、 歴史的にも価値の高い建造物だ。 ５０年以上も変わらぬ音色で、 鐘の音は横内に響き渡る。"
- Sumner, Shotten, Owen (eds.), Archives, p.246.
- Yasuyuki Saga interview. Crimson Head Elder. Retrieved on 2020-05-31.