Resident Evil is a 2021 horror film directed by Johannes Roberts. The seventh film in Constantin Film's live-action franchise, this film will be a reboot set in a new continuity separate from the prior universe overseen by writer-director Paul W.S. Anderson. The film will be an adaptation of 2002's Resident Evil and 2019's Resident Evil 2. The film will star Robbie Amell, Hannah John-Kamen, Avan Jogia, Kaya Scodelario, Tom Hopper and Neal McDonough.
Pre-production took place in early 2017 while The Final Chapter was still in theaters, and producer James Wan expressed interest in the project. He later confirmed in December 2018 he was no longer involved in the project, and said that news of his involvement was premature. Johannes Roberts was announced as director in early December. On June 25, the trademark for 'Raccoon HG Film Productions Inc.' was registered as a federal corporation with Canada Business Corporations by producer Hartley Gorenstein. Horror cinematographer Maxime Alexandre was later confirmed as the film's Director of Photography in December 2020.
Greg Russo was attached as writer in 2017. The writer, who was also attached on the Mortal Kombat reboot at the time, drew inspiration from the 2017 video game Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, though would later clarify he only drew the tones of the game - "scary, isolated, alone" - rather than the story itself. Russo wanted Moonlight Sonata, a composition featured in several Resident Evil games, to feature in the opening credits. Russo confirmed in a November 2018 interview with DiscussingFilm he was no longer involved in the project. Johannes Roberts was announced to be the new writer in early December. It is unknown if Russo's draft was discarded entirely or if Roberts was charged with doing later drafts.
In a press statement to Deadline, Roberts is quoted as saying that he - "really wanted to go back to the original first two games and re-create the terrifying visceral experience I had when I first played them whilst at the same time telling a grounded human story about a small dying American town that feels both relatable and relevant to today’s audiences". In the same article, Resident Evil producer Robert Kulzer states "After a dozen games, six live-action movies and hundreds of pages of fan fiction, we felt compelled to return to the year 1998, to explore the secrets hidden in the walls of the Spencer Mansion and Raccoon City."
Casting was underway in early 2020 but was slowed down by the Coronavirus pandemic. Roberts confirmed during an interview Starburst Magazine that casting was to be announced in March, the following month. In April, Full Circle Cinema reported that the Sony Pictures were eyeing Brenton Thwaites, Kaya Scodelario and Harris Dickinson for the roles of Chris and Claire Redfield, and Leon S. Kennedy, respectively. The Illuminderdi also reported that Hannah John-Kamen was being offered the role of Jill Valentine. When the cast was confirmed in October, John-Kaman and Scodelario were indeed cast. On October 25, contortionist Marina Mazepa shared a video on Instagram, announcing her role in the film. Deadline released a further exclusive casting announcement on November 2, announcing 'Gotham' actor Donal Logue in the role of Chief Brian Irons and Chad Rook and Lily Gao in yet undisclosed roles.
Resident Evil began production in Greater Sudbury, Ontario on October 13, 2020. On October 8, Chris Redfield actor Robbie Amell publicly announced the first day of filming on his Instagram story before limiting further information on the production to his 'close friends' list. Robbie later shared a picture of his trailer on Twitter, with a sign in the door window reading "Raccoon HG: Chris" before later removing the post. Another public Instagram story by Kay Scodelario followed on the evening of the 14th, announcing that she would begin two months of 'solid night shoots' the following day. Several news outlets made further reports as filming started, notably on the 17th, but nothing further was revealed as to what exactly was being shot or what other cast members had been present, though, an image of the set showed 90s-era vehicles on a suburban street seemingly keeping with the 1998 setting. Since then, dozens of photos have been leaked from both fans and actors personal social media, showing off locations, vehicles, and props adapted from both the classic games and their recent remakes.
Filming concluded on December 29, 2020.
- Resident Evil - Reboot - Constantin Film. Constantin Film. Retrieved on 2020-12-6.
- James Wan is Producing the ‘Resident Evil' Reboot!. Bloody Disgusting (May 22, 2017). Retrieved on 2017-05-23.
- ‘Resident Evil’ Feature Film Reboot Will Go Back to Scary Roots of First Two Games; Cast Announced!. Bloody Disgusting (October 6, 2020). Retrieved on 2020-10-18.
- ‘Resident Evil’ Reboot: Kaya Scodelario, Robbie Amell, Hannah John-Kamen & More To Star In Origin Story Adaptation. Deadline (October 6, 2020). Retrieved on 2020-10-18.
- Deadline - "‘Resident Evil' Franchise Reboot: James Wan On Board To Produce From Greg Russo Script".
- Fred Topel (2018-12-17). James Wan No Longer Producing ‘Resident Evil’ (Exclusive). Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved on 2018-12-17.
- Justin Kroll (DECEMBER 5, 2018). ‘Resident Evil’ Reboot Finds Writer, Director in ’47 Meters Down’ Filmmaker (EXCLUSIVE). Variety. Retrieved on 2018-12-17.
- Open Corporates - Raccoon HG Film Productions Inc. Retrieved on 2020-06-25.
- 'Resident Evil': Reboot Horror Film Adds 'Shazam!' and 'Crawl' Cinematographer Maxime Alexandre (2020-12-01). Retrieved on 2020-12-06.
- Tweet by Greg Russo: So I was quoted recently as saying RE7 was a "touchstone" for my draft. That really means tone. SCARY. ISOLATED. ALONE. But it got me thinking, so let's do this: Resident Evil core (numbered) games ranked. I'm thinking.... 1-4-7-2-0-3-5-6. I'm standing by it. Agree? Disagree?
- Tweet by Greg Russo: "Definitely. I put Moonlight Sonata in the script. Iconic."
- Tweet by Greg Russo: "I wanted it over the opening credits"
- Greg Russo Talks ‘Resident Evil’ Reboot (Exclusive Interview Part Two). Discussing Film. Retrieved on 2018-11-24.
- Andrew Pollard. Johannes Roberts | 47 METERS DOWN: UNCAGED. Starburst Magazine. Retrieved on 2020-02-28.
- ‘Resident Evil’ Reboot Eyeing Brenton Thwaites & Kaya Scodelario
- Resident Evil Reboot: Hannah John-Kamen Offered Jill Valentine Role And New Remake Details: Exclusive
- Constantin Film verfilmt die Ursprungsgeschichte von RESIDENT EVIL / Der Film ist der Beginn eines neuen Universums, inspiriert durch Handlungen und Figuren des Resident Evil Spiels von Capcom (German). constantin -film. Retrieved on 2020-10-06.
- Deadline - ‘Gotham’ Alum Donal Logue Joins ‘Resident Evil’ Origin Movie 
- Film industry returns as Resident Evil reboot set to begin filing in Sudbury. Ontario Creates. Retrieved on 2020-10-09.
- Darren MacDonald. OntarioCreates - In Production (pg. 3). CTV News. Retrieved on 2020-09-25.
- Twitter - Raccoon HG: Chris. Retrieved on 2020-10-8.
- Robbie Amell. Raccoon HG: Chris. Retrieved on 2020-10-8.
- Kayla Scodelario. Instagram - "And so tomorrow begins 2 months of solid Night shoots". Retrieved on 2020-10-14.
- Jim Moodie. Sudbury Photo: Resident Evil shooting on Mountain Street. The Sudbury Star. Retrieved on 2020-10-17.
- The Resident Evil Movie Reboot Has Finished Filming. GameSpot. Retrieved on 2020-12-30.