Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (known in Japan as Biohazard 5: Alternative Edition) is a re-release of Resident Evil 5. It was released in Japan on 17 and 18 February 2010 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 respectively, and released on March 9 in North America and Europe.
The Japanese region had an actual updated version of Resident Evil 5 with the new content on disc, a new title screen, and a new movie opening. The version sold outside of Japan simply packaged a Resident Evil 5 disc with all the DLC content already on it, without the new title screen or opening.
On March 26, 2015, an overseas updated version was released on PC (Microsoft Windows) exclusively on the Steam platform, utilising the Steamworks severs and replacing the previous GFWL Version which relied on Games for Windows Live for online play. This contained all the new content as part of the game download, and has a new title screen and opening. The SteamWorks PC Version allows user to import their data from the older GFWL PC Version. The DX10 and 3D Support were removed, and several bugs existed on released and region lock remains intact.
The actual Gold Edition version was the basis for the 2016 Nvidia Shield TV port while the PlayStation 4/Xbox One are ports of the regular game with DLC.
In addition to the regular Resident Evil 5 and all its features and Downloadable content released by now, several other new features will be included, all available as Downloadable content for the owners of the regular Resident Evil 5. These include:
- A revisited Mercenaries mode ("The Mercenaries Reunion"), bringing in new characters and costumes, using the maps of the normal The Mercenaries mode. Each of the eight Mercenaries mode maps have been slightly modified, including new locations for Time Bonuses, Combo Bonuses and enemy spawn. Achieving a B rank on the maps will unlock the next map except for the prison map, a unique map that hasn't been seen in the campaign.
- Two different Costume Packs (Chris Heavy Metal, Chris Warrior, Sheva Business, Sheva Fairy Tale).
- A new Figurine Pack, which includes figurines of the DLC modes and outfits.
- A new scenario known as Lost in Nightmares (DLC).
- A new scenario known as Desperate Escape (DLC).
- PlayStation Move support (PlayStation 3 version only).
- The Versus mode (from a DLC), which is a variant of the mercenaries minigame.
- Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition on Steam.
- Untold Stories Bundle DLC on Steam.
- Resident Evil 5 on Nvidia Shield Android TV.
- ↑ Biohazard 5 Alternate Edition Official Website (Japanese). Capcom. Retrieved on December 17, 2009.