(Capcom's primary storyline)
"Oh, Mother Miranda... If it's for you, I'd do anything!"
— Salvatore Moreau
Salvatore Moreau was a mutant human who lived in an Eastern European mountain range. Presumably the last surviving member of the Moreau family, he resided at the Moreau Reservoir until his death in 2021.
Salvatore Moreau's past is shrouded in mystery, although it is known that he belonged to the Moreau family and served as its final House Lord. Due to his nautical tattoos (a jellyfish tattoo with "Mother" written in the middle on his upper left shoulder and an anchor on his left forearm) there is a good possibility he was a sailor or a fisherman at one point in his past. For generations, his family maintained an alliance with the noble Beneviento, Heisenberg, and Dimitrescu families in controlling an isolated mountain village. As with many others in the region, Moreau was a follower of a local pagan cult led by Mother Miranda and was eventually infected with a Cadou, mutating him into a grotesque fish-like monster.
Partly as a result of his grotesque appearance, Moreau exhibited an almost total lack of self-worth, completely isolating himself on his reservoir and only rarely setting foot outside of it. He was desperate to prove his worth to the other house lords and to please Mother Miranda, whom he viewed as his actual mother. To this end, he conducted experiments on the villagers using the Cadou, although none of these experiments were successful. He also often mutated into a large salamander-fish hybrid mutant where he swam around the flooded region and fed on unsuspecting fishermen.
The location in which he performed his Cadou experiments is signposted as "Moreau's Clinic", indicating that he or a member of his family were physicians before mutation.
Shortly before the arrival of Ethan Winters, Miranda handed Moreau a flask containing the crystallized arms of Ethan's daughter Rose and instructed him to guard it until the ceremony. Although he was obedient in guarding his flask, he began worrying about being abandoned by Miranda when she would eventually use Rose to resurrect her true daughter Eva.
However, Ethan successfully stole the flask from Moreau as he was busy watching TV. Moreau quickly noticed Ethan, who casually explained that he was taking the flask before attempting to leave. However, Moreau begged him to give the flask back, fearing Miranda would disown him as soon as it became known that he lost the flask to Ethan.
Winters refused to give the flask back, prompting Moreau to try and trap him within a closed corridor using his enzyme walls. However, Ethan quickly escaped from the corridor and made it as far as the windmills before being encountered once again by Moreau. He attempted to attack Ethan travelling around the reservoir in his fish monster form, ultimately cornering him after destroying the Hound Wolf Squad's station. He told Ethan that the only way out of the reservoir was underwater and that Miranda was already preparing for the ceremony.
Seconds later, Moreau began vomiting large amounts of green acid before retreating into the water, wherein his monster form further mutated with Moreau's body appearing in its mouth. Ethan drained the water from the reservoir as Moreau's mutated form chased and attempted to consume him.
Having drained all of the reservoir's water, Ethan pursued Moreau into a nearby valley. As they battled, Moreau expressed hope that he would defeat Ethan and make Miranda proud of him. However, Ethan emerged victorious and Moreau's body greatly inflated and exploded in mixture of flesh, guts, and acid.
Out of all the four lords, Moreau is by far the least human in appearance. The Cadou transformed him into a hideous fish-like monster with gills, a swim bladder, webbed hands and feet, a hunched back, and a deformed face. His out of control cell growth also led to large parts of his reservoir being coated in thick, gooey enzymes. He appears to exhibit some control over these enzymes, attempting to trap Ethan by engorging them into walls. He also has a tattoo on his left arm.
Most notably, he demonstrates the ability to mutate into an enormous fish-like monster with a gaping maw and a back covered in eyes. While in this form, he has the ability to expel extremely potent acid from his stomach in large and powerful enough amounts that it can "rain" throughout an entire valley when directed upwards. He seemingly had some level of control over what form he was in, as he appeared to Ethan as a giant fish before later showing up in his original form, as well as having a record for striking fear into the boaters who tried to sail over the reservoir. However, by the time he is confronted by Ethan, he appears to have lost control over his mutation, becoming stuck in his enormous fish-like form.
During Ethan's trip across the reservoir Moreau will attempt at many points to knock the player off of the floating structures. The player must move after he has performed his action or get off of the rickety platforms before he reaches him to avoid being eaten.
During his boss battle on the bed of the reservoir he primarily attacks via spewing acidic bile at Ethan. The human portion of the creature will often retreat into his mouth. Although this looks like his weak spot, Moreau does not take any more damage if the player shoots it. After taking enough damage Moreau will proceed to climb up onto a structure and spew his acidic bile in the air. The player must find shelter under some of the outcroppings (most marked by yellow) to avoid being injured by the rain. He will also create enzyme barriers blocking off paths and requiring the player to stop and attack them in order to pass.
Like Dimitrescu if enough damage is done to the creature quickly enough it will slump over exposing the human weak point to repeated attacks. However it is only possible to attack this weak point from the front as it is not visible from any other side.
- "Oh Mother Miranda... if it's for you, I'd do anything!"
- "Wait, wait, wait! What are you doing with Mother's special child!?"
- "Oh, you have something to say?"
- "Mother wants her baby back."
- "Wait, wait, wait! Please, please! If, if you take it then the others will laugh at me. B-but if, if I do better than them..." (referring to Rose's arms flask)
- "Wait, just a little longer! Ple-! [laughing]"
- "You're stupid! You talk too much!"
- "It's all over. I plugged the way in."
- "This is MY territory! And I won't let you leave!"
- "W-wait- don't go!"
- "Dirty little sneak thief."
- "I-I won't let you have it."
- "You... the exit's underwater... you're done!"
- "It's too late... Miranda is already preparing the ceremony."
- "Don't be cruel! It's not fair!"
- "I should be with her! Not you!"
- "I can't hold it in anymore!"
- "Oh god. Oh Mother, why? Why!?"
- "I'm the best!"
- "Watch me, Mama!"
- "I'll do better next time, Momma..."
- "My precious water! No!" (Ethan drains the reservoir)
- "I'll make you proud, Mother. Watch me!"
- "Take, take this!"
- "Oh, why?"
- "I'm not stupid!"
- "Don't look at me that way!"
- "You're the reason Mother doesn't love me."
- "I've, I've been saving this one."
- "You bastard!"
- "You! You!"
- "Why do you hate me?"
- "D-don't run."
- "I don't want to die. Oh it hurts so much."
- "Damn you!"
- "H-help me! Mother! Maaaaaaaaaaaa-!
- As with all the four lords, Moreau is inspired by gothic horror literature. The most direct and obvious reference is to the H.G. Wells novel, The Island of Doctor Moreau, and the character of Doctor Moreau himself. Moreau (or a member of his family) was implied to be a doctor before his mutation. His mutated form may have been inspired by the fictional doctor's work as well, creating animal-human hybrids.
- Moreau was also likely inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft and Lovecraftian horror in general, referencing many tropes associated with the genre, especially in his fish-like mutated form. The appearance of tentacled, many-eyed gigantic monsters lurking beneath the water is a common occurrence in Lovecraftian fiction.
- According to concept art, Moreau's more human-like appearance was inspired by the kappa, a river-dwelling creature from Japanese folklore.
- Resident Evil Village (2021), file: "Diary".