The Stun Rod is a melee weapon seen in the most recent games of the Resident Evil series. More often than not, it appears in the hands of late-game enemies.
Resident Evil Outbreak
In Outbreak the Stun Rod is the result of combining a battery with an Iron Pipe. It has a basic attack power of 360HP.It is an effective melee weapon against zombies due there's an strong chance of taunting them. However it's good against Lickers and very effective during the Suspended boss fight.
Resident Evil 4
The most iconic appearance of the Stun Rod is in Resident Evil 4, as a standard-issue weapon for the soldiers of Saddler's Militia. It is arguably one of the most dangerous enemy-wielded weapons in RE4, not only due to it's power (with a single discharge being able to drain about a 1/4th of Leon's health), but also because it is a weapon of choice for the Soldier Ganados. Furthermore, the threat presented by stun rods is further elevated in Professional mode, where a single shock can drain half the player's HP, and might even prove fatal at low health, meaning that the player must keep enemies at bay at all costs in order to survive.
The presence of Stun Rod-wielding Ganados can be detected early by listening to the electrical crackling generated by these weapons, which stops once their owner is killed.
The weapon is never made available to the player, however PC modifications can give the knife the appearance of a stun rod.
Resident Evil 5
The Stun Rod makes a return in Resident Evil 5, and this time it is available to players and enemies alike. Like its previous incarnation, the Stun Rod is a weapon of choice for the Base Majini in the late stages of the game, as it is carried by most soldiers. The Stun Rod is as deadly as it was before, dealing massive damage to the player. However, it is more dangerous than ever before, because it can easily eliminate players when combined with AK-74-wielding enemies, as well as being able to send the player to Dying status in a single blow in Professional. Thus, extreme caution should be exercised when dealing with rod Majinis.
The Stun Rod may be purchased for 3000 Gold after Chapter 2-3. It holds the honor of being the only melee weapon in RE5. Compared to the knife, the Stun Rod has a slower swing, but deals extreme damage to the target, often preventing a Plaga from coming out of the body. Standard enemies, normally, will be critically damaged or instantly killed with a single shock. However, stronger enemies like the Executioner Majini and the Chainsaw Majini are more likely to withstand the normally deadly discharge.
The Stun Rod is a new weapon card in the second Resident Evil DBG expansion, Outbreak. It is the second Melee weapon ever concieved in the game alongisde Submission. Its use is similar to the Knife, as it requires 0 Ammo and only deals 10 Damage by itself. However, it does have an effect with several uses. Automatically, the player is given +1 Explore, giving it the same feel as Shotgun weapon cards such as the Pump-Action Shotgun. The second part pf the effect comes into play if the player is fighting 2 or more Infected. If one of the Infected has 20 or less Health the player can "stun" it by sending it back to the top of the Mansion Area deck. The Stun Rod has a Gold Cost of 30.
- The Stun Rod has the power to stun a Reaper due to the electricity (should be done with caution - the Reapers have an instant kill blow) and this can be used as a great opening to shoot the weak spot. The Electric Rounds from the Grenade Launcher have the same effect.
- The Stun Rod is also used by enemies, like the Gatling Gun, AK-74, and RPG-7.
- It has a 50% headshot critical. However, it is hard to achieve as the Stun Rod's range is different from the knife's.
- Chris Redfield uses this weapon in Marvel vs Capcom 3 in one of his attacks.
- Heavy Metal Chris is the only character in both Mercenaries and Mercenaries Reunion minigame to have this weapon in their inventory.
- Every time Heavy Metal Chris defeats an enemy with the Stun Rod, the player is awarded with a + 5 second bonus. This is similar to an enemy being defeated with a melee attack.
- In Resident Evil Outbreak, this weapon will only last 10 uses (randomly will last as a maximun of 15 uses-which occurs almost never-, and somtimes as less of 5 uses). Uses more often than not depend on the user, as heavy hitters such as Mark tend to wear it out more quickly.