The Turning Around Zombie is the name given to the first Zombie encountered in Resident Evil, coined by Shinji Mikami in an interview for the GameCube biohazard Official Navigation Book. The scene where it is found eating Kenneth J. Sullivan and turns around to face the player has become a memorable scene from the franchise.
In Jill Valentine's scenario, Jill and Barry Burton after killing the zombie will have them investigating the zombie's corpse and pondering what it was, as well as deducing its role in Sullivan's death, before deciding to return to the Entrance Hall to report the situation to Albert Wesker. In the REmake, it also has an additional appearance in Kenneth's Film, where it is shown killing Sullivan.
The two cutscenes involving the Turning Around Zombie in the 2002 remake were initially bloodless. 3DCGI director Shimako Sato had the scene of it attacking Kenneth J. Sullivan altered to have blood spatter over the camera, while Mikami had its introductory scene altered to feature dripping blood.
In the 1996 original as well as its port, Deadly Silence, the zombie was given human-like eyes, including blue irises and pupils. In the remake and remaster versions as well as The Umbrella Chronicles however, their eyes were made nearly completely white to emphasize the fact that it was a monster.
How it killed Sullivan differed between its appearances. In the 1996 original and its port, Deadly Silence, Turning Around Zombie was implied to have decapitated Sullivan. In the 1995 demonstration, the remake and remaster versions, and The Umbrella Chronicles, it simply tore out Sullivan's throat. Both the remaster and the remake versions also depict how Sullivan was killed on-screen via Kenneth's Film.
- Owing to the original game taking elements from Sweet Home, the Turning Around Zombie's actions in its introduction were taken from the intro to the Man enemy in the same game.
- In both the original game and the remake, if Jill repeatedly tries to leave the dining hall and return to the entrance hall after conversing with Barry, the Turning Around Zombie will enter the room by itself.
- The scene has been referenced multiple times in games such as Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 6 and The Evil Within.
- It also has been referenced in the movie such as Resident Evil: Vendetta.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Interview of Shinji Mikami Resident Evil re-make 3. Biohazard France. Retrieved on 2015-05-28.