This untitled Resident Evil film is the seventh film project by current license-holder, Constantin Film. It is to be the first in a new continuity following the departure of Paul W.S. Anderson, writer of all films up to 2017's Resident Evil: The Final Chapter.
Pre-production took place in early 2017 while The Final Chapter was still in theatres, and producer James Wan expressed interest in the project. He later confirmed in December 2018 he was no longer involved in the project, and said that news of his involvement was premature. Johannes Roberts was announced as director in early December.
Greg Russo was attached as writer in 2017. The writer, who was also attached on the Mortal Kombat reboot at the time, drew inspiration from the 2017 video game Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, though would later clarify he only drew the tones of the game - "scary, isolated, alone" - rather than the story itself. Russo wanted Moonlight Sonata, a composition featured in several Resident Evil games, to feature in the opening credits. Russo confirmed in a November 2018 interview with DiscussingFilm he was no longer involved in the project. Johannes Roberts was announced to be the new writer in early December. It is presently unknown if Russo's draft has been discarded or if Roberts is in charge of further drafting.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 James Wan is Producing the ‘Resident Evil' Reboot!. Bloody Disgusting (May 22, 2017). Retrieved on 2017-05-23.
- ↑ Deadline - "‘Resident Evil' Franchise Reboot: James Wan On Board To Produce From Greg Russo Script".
- ↑ Fred Topel (2018-12-17). James Wan No Longer Producing ‘Resident Evil’ (Exclusive). Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved on 2018-12-17.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Justin Kroll (DECEMBER 5, 2018). ‘Resident Evil’ Reboot Finds Writer, Director in ’47 Meters Down’ Filmmaker (EXCLUSIVE). Variety. Retrieved on 2018-12-17.
- ↑ Tweet by Greg Russo: So I was quoted recently as saying RE7 was a "touchstone" for my draft. That really means tone. SCARY. ISOLATED. ALONE. But it got me thinking, so let's do this: Resident Evil core (numbered) games ranked. I'm thinking.... 1-4-7-2-0-3-5-6. I'm standing by it. Agree? Disagree?
- ↑ Tweet by Greg Russo: "Definitely. I put Moonlight Sonata in the script. Iconic."
- ↑ Tweet by Greg Russo: "I wanted it over the opening credits"
- ↑ Greg Russo Talks ‘Resident Evil’ Reboot (Exclusive Interview Part Two). Discussing Film. Retrieved on 2018-11-24.